SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Suggestions for this 'menu'?

party_music50
14 years ago

Hi. I love reading the tweaks and comments to others when they pose these questions. I'm planning to do a mostly family "open house" on Dec 24, knowing that we'll all be re-gathering for dinner that evening (dinner will be fairly standard Polish meal w/ baked ham, kielbasa, pierogi, etc.)

People will be arriving from out-of-town during the day, so I thought offering to have food and drink available to everyone/anyone from noon til 5pm would just relieve some of the stress and bustle. I would like to face minimal prep time on everything, and am trying to come up with foods/appetizers that "hold" well, are primarily healthy, and have a good variety so that everyone can find something to eat that they like. Choices should also take into account the known ham/polish dinner!

For drinks I'll have beer, wines (white zin and merlot, I think), various sodas, coffee, and perhaps a very simple punch.

To hold in crockpots: I'd like to try that "taco soup" I've read about, and for another (creamy) option I was thinking either "potato & leek" soup or clam chowder. Maybe a "cream of broccoli" soup would be better? I'm a *really* good soup-maker, if it matters. :)

For appetizers: shrimp cocktail. And I think I'd like to try those meatballs with grape jelly in the sauce. lol! Never had those but have read posts about how good (and easy) they are. Veggie tray w/ simple dips, and maybe I should make hummus? Some cheeses & crackers, including cream cheese and homemade hot pepper jelly! Everyone always loves that and it's SO simple.

For sweets: I want to minimize this, because I do the cookie trays for after the big meal. lol! I was thinking of making chocolate-dipped pretzels. Maybe a sweet bread or mini-muffins?

How does that sound? too weird, or will the combos/options work? Am I missing something with fruit, and if so what?

Thanks for any help! Recipes too, please! or tips on setting up things and making it easier. My kitchen is *tiny*. :)

Comments (3)