SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homebound_gw

Toilet adjustment ideas to use less water

homebound
16 years ago

Seems I'm repairing lots of leaky toilets recently (including one that ran up an owner's sewer/water bill more than a $1000 over normal since the tenant didn't think to tell the owner). Anyway, given the focus on water conservation, I just had a couple ideas that are not normally mentioned and I'd like your thoughts.

#1:

After each flush, as the tank is refilling, there is also water going down the overflow tube to refill the bowl. But after yesterday testing a new fill valve (and a new flapper), I realized there's much more water going down the overflow tube than is necessary to fill the bowl. That water just goes down the drain. While some of that may help clear the drain lines after the flush (couldn't hurt), I decided to redirect some of that water into refilling the tank by twisting the clip holding the fill valve tube to the overflow tube in such a way that the tube is now aimed at the edge of the overflow tube. That allows about 1/2 as much water to go down the overflow tube, while the other 1/2 fills the tank. When the tank fills quicker, then less water is ultimately used. What do you think?

#2:

(This is may be not so new an idea). I lower the water level in the tank by adjusting the float, but I make sure to test that there is still a nice and full flush. Turns out that some flappers stay open way past the full flush effect, so that's water that's also just going down the drain. Thoughts?

On another toilet I installed a Fluidmaster "bull's eye" adjustable model, which can be dialed to alter the closing. Similar effect to my #2 above - works great so far. Caution that you must test this think to be sure you dialed it to a setting that works. I set it to close after the flush in the bowl is complete....I just wonder how long it will work as intended.

These all being said, I'll admit there's a benefit to the extra water going down the drain: flushing the waste down the drains with less chance of lingering material in the line. Just wish I knew how much is too much.

Comments (3)