SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorea_gw

Least expensive way to remodel a bathroom?

15 years ago

Hi there!

I'm a remodeling newbie, so please go easy on me! I've been pouring over these forums for weeks now in anticipation of our upcoming remodeling, but just in case, I was hoping to get some help.

I currently live in a mid-century home, concrete slab, with hydronic radiant heating in California. The house was built in 1960, and an upstairs addition was added by the previous owners in 1982, and the addition does have a bathroom upstairs. They left a crawlspace between the old roof and new floor, but I'm not entirely sure as to how to access it.

In any case, the current 2 bathrooms are a little small and awkward. However, since we are trying to keep this bathroom remodel as low-cost as possible, I was hoping to design the bathrooms as inexpensively as possible. Unfortunately, I think making any kind of plumbing changes is really expensive given that I have both concrete slab AND radiant flooring. I'm trying to think creatively here!

- Best case scenario - rip out the current bathrooms, move the walls, and make each of the bathrooms larger. I'm guessing this isn't very cost-effective!

- Mid-line scenario - keep the bathroom walls the same, and toilets in the same places. Change the layout: place the shower where the sink used to be. In the other bathroom, also place the tub where the sink used to be.

---> In this scenario, would I need to break into the slab/radiant flooring? I'm willing to raise the height of the shower/tub if necessary to not need to break the concrete. Is this an option?

- Low-cost scenario - keep everything the same, just upgrade everything. Unfortunately, this is the least desirable scenario since the layouts really aren't functional.

Am I correct in assuming that framing/drywall labor is less time consuming and less expensive than plumbing? If this is the case, I'd rather try to keep the plumbing as consistent as possible but change the walls.

Also, what tasks need to be permitted?

On another note...there's a closet that is on one corner of the house that we would like to convert into a laundry room. Given the information I've provided about my house, would it be feasible make this into a laundry room without breaking the concrete? I'm assuming I would have to route the water supply, drainage, and dryer vent along the outside walls, is this correct?

Thank you so much in advance!! I've learned a ton from this forum so far, but I know there's so much I need to learn.

Comment (1)