SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olyagrove

puppy questions

olyagrove
13 years ago

I am heavily involved in cat rescue...Puppies and dogs have never been my territory.

I was at the Humane Society with my foster kittens on Sunday and as I was leaving the shelter, a man brought in a tiny pathetic looking puppy. HS does not take strays (they are no kill) and puppy had to go to HCAS. Given the sad state the pup was in, I was pretty certain HCAS would euthanize after the standard stray hold.

The guy said he found the puppy and felt horrible for it..He was begging for help and said he could not bring himself to take the dog to AS...so I took the puppy home.

I did have a dog once, growing up, so I remember the basics...to some extend.

As I mentioned, puppy looked bad. The lower half of the body does not have any fur. The butt is naked and pink. The tummy was horrible extended. He only had fur on and around his neck...

{{gwi:2019283}}

Puppy went to the vet on Monday. The vet did two scrapings, did not find mites - but said mange is most likely. Demodex was not ruled out, but the absence of mites could mean the more favorable (well, in comparison with demodex) sarcoptic mange. So, pup is on Revolution and wait and see. Got the shots and deworming...

I am reading up on puppies in the meantime as much as I can...Luckily, local rescue group people were helpful and offered good advice...Still got lots of questions

1. What kind of pup do you thin he is (as in, what is mixed in)?

He is 7-8 wks old, per vet. I think he was just a tad over 5 lb. Super smart. Fetches, waits to go potty outside while he is in his (spacious) crate. Does not bark much and is very excited about cats - in a good way - no chasing, but wants to make friends.

When he barked, he howled a bit at the end. But he really rarely barks. Such well behaved guy.

Does not like wet grass...

Here is a better, much more flattering picture ...his butt and belly have no fur and look much worse.

{{gwi:2019284}}

2. I got him puppy food, wet and dry. I am giving him goats milk, and he enjoys it. If I am to cook meals for him - I feed my cats half Innova/Welless, half wet, and some cooked meals - what kind of veggies are good and OK?

Are raw veggies better? Too early?

He really liked cooked rice mixed with cooked ground beef and some warm goats milk...

3. Someone must have owned him, even though he is so young. He behaves very well when crated, just plays with his toy AND waits to go potty. But if I let him out of the crate and in the house, he feels it is OK to go potty. As long as it is outside the crate. I usually try to pick him up and off to backyard...but yesterday he was running around the living room and had a few accidents...

What is the best approach to teach him that it has to be outside the crate and outside in backyard? Is it a matter of patience and time? It is easier with kitties, give them potties and they will do the rest :)

Thank you for your words of wisdom.

Olya

Comments (12)