SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

OT? Homemaking when you're never home ...

User
16 years ago

Maybe it's spring fever creeping in, but lately my thoughts have turned towards home, and I've got the strongest desire to be at home, tending and nurturing my place and my things ... yes, even cleaning and sorting and organizing -- those chores that ordinarily I would dread now seem somehow appealing to me. This may sound quite strange, but I have a longing for a sort of old-fashioned cottage existence, one in which I wear a vintage apron while washing my windows to better appreciate the sunlight that's beginning to spill in, where I'm enjoying a fresh, natural citrus scent while making my own cleaning products, busying myself baking bread -- just basically savoring the goodness and wholesomeness that home is meant to be.

My reality is quite different. I go to work every day, and my DH plays the role of house-husband. He enjoys keeping house and cooking for the two of us, but I think he views his tasks in a more linear manner and doesn't really appreciate (due to his gender - sorry if that's sexist!) the esoteric, artistic aspects to the making of a home. I guess I'm feeling a little frustrated that I just don't have the luxury of time to devote to the things around my house that would provide the feelings I'm seeking. I must make do with an hour or so in the evenings, and whatever I can manage to squeeze in on the weekends between social commitments, errands, etc. Don't get me wrong -- I appreciate my job and have no desire to leave it behind. I just wish there was more time that I could personally devote to making my home what I truly desire it to be.

For those who work outside the home, can you relate at all to what I'm feeling? Is it spring fever? How do you satisfy a longing for homemaking if/when it arises, when you've got something else to which must devote the majority of your time? How do you reconcile feelings that you're not doing "enough" to make your house a home? Any thoughts?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES