SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Oranged Walnuts

jenn
16 years ago

Just in case you're looking for something new and different to serve or give, here's a recipe I got from my granny. She made it for many years. I started making them a few years ago and I'm always asked for the recipe.

Oranged Nuts

* 1-1/2 C sugar

* 1/4 C orange juice

* 1/4 C water

* 1 tsp grated orange peel

* 2 C walnut halves (SEE NOTE)

Combine sugar, orange juice, and water in saucepan; cook to softball stage (234F). Remove from heat; add walnuts and orange peel. Mix until syrup becomes cloudy and hard to stir. Quickly turn out onto waxed paper or buttered cookie sheet. Separate into clusters with 2 forks. Makes 3 cups.

NOTE: I've doubled the amount of walnuts (but none of the other ingredients) with good results. The sugar mixture makes a thick coating and there's enough of it in the recipe to coat more than 2 C walnuts. However, you might want to start with 2 cups and see how you like that first. Everyone who tried the recipe and loved it didn't use more nuts, but this is just my way of stretching the recipe and making more without more work. If you think you want to add more, measure out the amount of walnuts the recipe calls for to start, then add more 1-2 cups at a time until they are all well coated

Also... to make them extra good, squeeze your own juice and use that in the recipe.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus