SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nepool

How much more work ($$$) is it to install a Thermostatic vs PB?

17 years ago

After reading all the posts and looking at all the components from each manufactuer, I am still really confused as to what I need to buy and what kind of plumbing work is involved in changing out my current 25 year old regular old "contractor special" shower valve with a thermostatic one.

First, when I look at most of these Thermostatic valves, it includes the "trim kit" only. The Moen Exacttemp Model T3330ST is $277, but the MOEN website doesn't give much clarity on what valve goes with it. Lousy website. Anyway, it looks like the 3330 valve may be the one... but it doesn't say thermostatic. Cost $117 for the valve.

When I look at Delta, their website is much clearer with their Innovations thermostatic value, it states the model number for the valve (rough) as $38 and the trim kit $265. Delta must be new in thermostatic products because I read on a forum that delta didn't even have one.

Anyway, my main question is how involved is the plumbing going to be for changing my old PB valve to Thermostatic... I would really love Thermostatic since we get a lot of cold showers when someone flushes a toilet or turns the water on (the opposite of anti-scald! LOL) Is the plumbing redo going to cost me alot of $$$ or is it a relatively simple thing to change out? If its going to be this really involved project, I'll just go PB.

Any recomendations on manufaturer would be great too: All I need is a 2 way diverter trim kit and the appropriate plumbing that goes with it (valve?) I will get the shower head and handheld seperately.

Thanks! Sally

Comments (5)