SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

Could I get some help with soapstone experiment

bestyears
15 years ago

After lots of calling around, I finally found some soapstone in Houston. A whole two slabs. One is called "Regular" soapstone and the other is called "Green" soapstone, LOL. The sheer fact that it is so rare in these parts may take it out of the running for me...although I truly hope not. In the meantime, the stone place was kind enough to give me two chunks of soapstone to experiment with.

I'm using Beekeepers Gold (beeswax + mineral oil) from William Sonoma to check the oiling process. So far, very good results. I'm pleased that the initial oiling still looks decent after three days. And it seems to provide good protection against water rings. (The water rings visible on the unoiled portion were later easily removed with Method Granite Cleaner). I've got some lemon juice sitting on one of the pieces right now to see what that might do to it. I've tried dragging a few things across, to see what kind of mark results. So far, both the wax and Method Granite cleaner seem to easily remove them.

So I have a couple of specific questions:

1. What else should I be experimenting with?

2. Is soapstone always as thick as these pieces? (the "regular" chunck is 1 1/2" thick; the "green" is 1 1/4 " thick)

3. Can anyone tell what the real names of these particular soapstones are?

4. All comments welcome!

The first picture is the "regular" soapstone. The second and third are the "green" soapstone. The liquid you see on the first is the lemon juice. The dark portion of the stones was treated Monday morning with the Beekeepers Gold.

{{gwi:1714560}}

{{gwi:1714561}}

{{gwi:1714562}}

Lynn

Comments (9)