SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

How long to recover from antibiotic nausea?

freezetag
15 years ago

Our cat Mason (6 y/o) recently developed crystals in his bladder which caused a complete blockage. Our vet catheterized him and gave him IV fluids for a couple of days, then sent him home with new food (Hills a/d), instructions to buy a cat fountain, and antibiotics for 14 days.

Though he had been sooo sick when we took him to the vet, he seemed to be recovering very nicely - eating and drinking well, running around, urinating several times a day, etc. But then a couple of days ago, he stopped eating (which is unheard of, because normally Mason devours everything in his bowl the second I fill it). And he was coughing up /throwing up hairballs. Our vet examined him and said that his bladder looked fine, but that the antibiotic was probably upsetting his stomach, and that we should stop giving it to him (he had been on it 11 days).

A day and a half later, he is not throwing up anymore but still is not really eating - he's just had a couple of bites. How long it will take for him to regain his appetite? I have been checking his litterbox, and it seems like he's only used it two or three times in the last couple of days. Our vet said it might take a couple of days for him to feel better - I am just feeling anxious about him (Mason, not the vet :).

Comments (2)