SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pompeii_gw

Chronic ear infection - any ideas for treatment?

pompeii
14 years ago

I recently adopted a 6 yr old female yorkie from a woman who could no longer care for her. She was originally a Petland puppy so she came from a puppy mill and no doubt was bred without any regard to congenital health issues. I think she has some daschund mixed in because her body is too long to be a yorkie (I jokingly refer to her as a "dorkie") and her ears don't stand up like a yorkies.

Anyway, she has ear infections that have been plaguing her for years because her ears have what is called "excessive ear folds". It's hard to even tell where the ear canal is, making it a challenge to get the medication where it needs to be. I've had her to the vet twice and have tried 3 different medications: Tri-otic, which the original owner was using; Mometamax and Keto Flush, which my vet gave me when the Tri-otic didn't work; and then I purchased Zymox, when the Mometamax wasn't effective. The first two actually seemed to make the problem worse - her ears were red and she scratched and shook her head all the time. On the Zymox, even though her ears are still smelly, they aren't red and she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable anymore.

My basic question is, since the Zymox hasn't actually cured the infection from what I can tell, has anyone had success with a medication or treatment that is super effective on yeast infections? My vet did a swab and confirmed that it is yeast. She says the next step is ablation surgery which is unfortunately too expensive for me to consider.

To compound things, the little girl is blind in one eye (attacked by previous owner's other dog) and already can barely hear due to the ear problems. I think this is the real reason the woman got rid of her - she was probably told by her vet that surgery was the only option left. She denied to me that the dog had ear problems and said it was "just an infection."

I really want to keep her, but since the surgery is out, I can't let her suffer with ear infections all the time. Hopefully someone out there has faced and solved this problem!

Here's my little "dorkie":

Comments (7)