SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mudhoney

My dog has insane amounts of energy! Help!

mudhoney
10 years ago

So I can't say I wasn't warned. We have had our rescue dog for three weeks and love him dearly, but he's wearing me out! According to his paperwork, he is about 1 yr old (so I guess still a lot of puppy in him), and I am now guessing he is a Papillon/Italian greyhound cross. Kind of a very leggy, largish Papillon that likes to climb all over things.

I had the silly notion at first that I could tire him out. But after a long session of fetch, he is still following me around with a ball in his mouth. If it is not a ball, a stuffed toy to play tug with. A long walk seems to tire me out and energize him. He never sits still! It is like watching a very fast toddler. Fortunately he has done well with house-training, but I feel like I can't trust him if he's in another room (for instance, he figured out how to use the bar stools to get on the counter).

Is this puppy or new dog energy that will settle down, or is this pretty much normal for his breeds? (Any Iggy owners to weigh in?)
He's super smart, so I'm trying to put together ideas to keep him busy while kenneled (about 4-5 hours a day) so he doesn't just sleep and store up energy. I'm intrigued with the idea of working off "mental energy"--does that really work?

Comments (12)