SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
earthytech

Dishwasher Plumbing

earthytech
14 years ago

My wife is a stay at home, homeschooling mom, so her daily to-do list can be overwhelming. We have a relatively small kitchen with difficult window placement so I cannot move the refrigerator from its location. We also have no cabinet space to spare for a dishwasher next to the sink.

The kitchen is roughly sketched here:

www.charlestondgc.com/images/kitch.jpg

The walkway is narrow to begin with and is narrower if the fridge is move to the opposing wall.

I don't like the idea of a portable dishwasher since we have to little mischievous girls and I'd hate for the drain hose to be moved from the sink to the floor.

That being said, I'd like to put the dishwasher where shown in the image above.

The electrical is not a problem, but from what I've read I can connect (with a p-trap) to the main drain line of the house from this location, provided I can supply hot water to the machine, which I can.

The issue I have is that the main drain is metal and I see potential for a major plumbing job if splicing a new drain into the line causes a problem.

Is it possible to run a drain down through the floor and up through the floor by the sink drain and connect to the sink downspout.

Here is a picture to show what I mean

www.charlestondgc.com/images/pipes.jpg

The blue is the sink drain and black is the suggested route for DW drain. I guess the question is whether the pump on the DW can provide enough pressure?

Comments (8)