SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andi956

3 years for kitchen reno???

andi956
16 years ago

Yes...if you're a full-time teacher on a budget!

Phase 1: Knock down the wall between the front room/kitchen. Frame it out.

Phase 2: Knock down the wall over the chimney. Take that puppy down. Build a fridge cabinet.

So, now it's time for the real work: adding cabinets, new flooring, new counters, etc. I have been plagued by indecision and could use your help!!!

I met with a Lowe's kitchen person and this is what we came up with. I'm not sure this is *exactly* what I'm going to do as I think he actually input 4" extra but...it's the general idea.

(Images of the lowes plan, current paint colors, flooring samples, and the general vibe of the house can be seen at http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/andi956/ If those donÂt work, let me know and I can t try to post them here!)

I should add that I live in a 1100sf "cottage" in an ok-ish part of town. My house is one of the nicer and bigger ones! Not sure how long I'll stay here but possibly forever (trying to live simply).

Oh yea: I got 60" of base & top cabinets cheaply ($50!!) on craig'slist so I hope to use those. The base cabs will go next to the stove and under the window. I'll have a little "dead space" in the corner as the other cabinet (where the stove is now) will but up against it, but that's where stuff like the rarely used picnic basket will go. (The guy even said thatÂs what heÂd do rather than buying cabinets.)

I also have 60" of top cabinets but I need to talk to my handy man about if they can be separated or not. (They were in one big unit before the demo but I'm not sure if I have to keep them that way. Does anyone know how this generally works???)

**If I can separate them***, then I might use the 2 18" cabinets above a new base cabinet that will go to the left of the stove. I only have 40' there. (I want to see if my very handyguy can make me something w/ those 4"Âmaybe wine storage or a pull out spicerack or something.

IÂll store canned goods in these cabsÂso I can get them out of the clear glass cabinets that I currently have AND so I can do my prepping on the long countertop.

Then, I'll use the 2 12" top cabinets that I have and get 2 more...but I'll front those with glass...and put those in the space above what is now the microwave area. (Dude who did the plan only shows 2) Anyway, that's where martini/wine glasses, pretty silver bowls, etc will go. The idea is to make something pretty to see as you walk in the door. If that doesnÂt seem right, IÂll just buy new ones as I want the view into the kitchen to be pretty.

I love some of the Ikea stuff with glass!

We are debating whether or not to use shorter cabinets and, instead, ***do a pass through*** so that when you come in, you actually see into the living room (albeit looking at a closet door).

If we did this, we could do a bar on the other side for us/company to sit at while we cook. Another option above this space is to do some simple shelving for glasses instead of a "solid" cabinet.

On the side of the kitchen that is already in place, I'll be getting a dishwasher so that'll go next to my new sink. I can rinse dishes, put them in the dishwasher, and then unload them into the current cabinets. I got some cheap but nice white dishes...and I'll move the mugs into the cabinets, I think. I'll probably also put larger pretty things on this side--large silver items, xmas dishes, milk glass...not sure. This is the side of the kitchen where trash is currently. Recycling will move to that side.

I am going to redo my floor but am not sure with what. When you come in the house you see into 3 rooms: front/sitting room, kitchen, and living room. So, IÂd love hardwoods to visually tie the front of the house with the back. But several folks have counseled against due to leaky dishwashers, etc. So, now I'm looking into tile or lineolium if I can find one that matches the color of the red oak. (Any suggestions?)

For countertops, given my neighborhood, it doesnÂt make sense to buy anything fancy. So, IÂll probably go with laminate. The 2 samples here have some rust/red in them to match my (hypothetical) flooring. The large square is a sample of Karndean woodplank in Sienna. ItÂs a pretty good match for my flooringÂnot quite as dark but does have the dark striation throughout as my floors do. Still, IÂm not sure about a PVC option.

The small square on the left is premium laminate in Sedona trail. The one on the right is Jeweled CoralÂit has some bluish/gray flecks in it. I want something to warm up all the white in the kitchen and tie in the floors. Those both look ok. I have about 22 linear feet of countertops (as opposed to about 8Â now!) to do so this is an economic option.

IÂll paint all of the kitchen cabinets (old & new) the same glossy white and get door pulls that match. (Not sure if IÂll stick with the knobs I have or go with the slender silver handles on the cabs I bought.)

I may paint the inside of my cabinets the kitchen green to set off my dishes. Also because I love that green and hate to see it go! But, weÂll see how it all looks when all is said and done.

I was a little worried the kitchen would feel like you were being suffocated by cabinets, but by glass fronting many of the cabinets and keeping the window, I think itÂll be ok. I feel reassured by the LoweÂs guyÂs "view" from the living room.

For now, an option is to NOT get the top cabinetry for the left of the stove and leave that space open to see how I feel. That way I can leave my print up and have the view from the living room look better, perhaps. I can always add cabinetry later.

OhÂand IÂll add some undercabinet lights, too! And to make the space usage better, IÂll outfit the cabinets with roll out storage. (I've been reading that pull out drawers are better than cabinets. But I think I want the latter for visual balance with the base cabs I have.)

Thoughts?

Question:

What do you think of this layout? (Moving the stove there will put it midway between the fridge and sink so in that regards will create a pretty useful "triangle.")

Should I raise the top cabinets to the ceiling or keep them level with the door. (On the "done" side they are nearly to the top and thereÂs crown moulding at the ceiling.)

How can I make this better? See any efficiency issues?

Seriously...after 3 years I am ready to go. I'm gonna do it, but could use everyone's wisdom. I tried doing the ikea software but the brain doesn't work that way!

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• pbrisjar
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Regarding the wood floors...

If you read through this form you'll see plenty of people that have wood floors in their kitchen. A major leak is a major leak and any floor will be compromised.

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Am going to try attaching some photos.

Current cabinet - want to keep and coordinate the others to match as closely as possible.

• Related Discussions

May be doing Kitchen Reno #3! Imaginations Needed Please.

Q

Comments (2)
    Ok, let me rephrase that. WE feel that the kitchen doesn't fit the house and is dragging down the value (and every realtor who has seen the house agrees with us). We don't like the tiny upper cabinets, the lack of storage, we are not crazy about the appliances and we would really like an island. Apart from that it's just fine. Lol. I see what you are saying re the utility room and agree to some extent, however we do also have a mud room through the garage entrance and for us the kitchen is the most important room in the house.
    ...See More

2 years after kitchen reno - picked backsplash and thank you!!

Q

Comments (1)
    What a pretty kitchen you have! (I found it on the FKB.) Can't wait to see the backsplash installed. Here is a link that might be useful: November's Kitchen
    ...See More

Kitchen reno 3 yrs ago Now unhappy about layout?

Q

Comments (2)
    I am so sorry... :( Is there anything that can be done to help it? Could you post some pictures... if nothing else maybe we could point out the positives for you? Also, bear in mind that probably every single person finds some little or big thing after the fact that they'd do differently so you are not alone.
    ...See More

Row Kitchen Reno, Round 3: Hidden Vent or Exposed; How Much Wall Tile?

Q

Comments (36)
    “Do you have any exposed brick?” All of the brick is covered in plaster, but I would seriously consider exposing a brick wall. “Are your stair treads and risers wood?” No; carpet. But a future project will almost certainly be removing the dark laminate floors and replacing them with a lighter hardwood. When that happens, I suspect we’ll also remove the carpet from the stairs and install hardwood rises and treads. “Do you like the mood of your current dining room? It reads dark, without much ambient lighting.” Yes and no. I like the colors in the dining room – green paint, some original red-brown wood on the door and stair rail, white trim, and black cabinet (painted white inside). We have similar colors in the living room – the same green paint, white trim, reclaimed wood shelves supported by cast iron brackets, and a new (modern-ish) stained glass transom window over the door. There is a casual slipcover couch, that is white. The former fireplace, that is now a built-in bookcase, is also white. Red-brown piano. What we don’t like: the dining room is still a little dark, although new track lighting and brigher lights in center of the room have helped a lot. In some places the space in and between the rooms flows oddly. So I guess my overall inclination is to try to embrace some of the things that seem warm or quirky about the house - but open up the space, improve lighting, etc. “Have you decided what you are doing with the opening to the DR?” The plan right now is employ Rebunky’s idea. To cut away some of the left hand entry – the deep side – and infill the right wall only as deep and high as is necessary to cover the sides of the new cabinets. That keeps the space open for light to pass through, and it prevents any new visual barriers from hampering conversations between people in the kitchen and dining area. We have also tentatively decided on the skylight, and additional lights in the kitchen. There is a single overhead light in the kitchen now, so while the ceiling is out we’ll put in a series of new lights. “If you go with timeless neutrals you'll be able to decorate with color rather than rip out a backsplash when your taste changes.” This is very good point. And it sounds like everyone agrees that in trying to match the warmth and colors of the current house, we're getting too dark. I'm going to step back from the backsplash idea and try to think about what might keep the look a little more light or open. My original idea - gray and white - would certainly have been airier. We could, of course, still chose this. Then again, my husband likes the red-brown cabinets, and they do fit the setting. So maybe what I should think about is how to complement and balance the choice, rather than trying to layer on elements that dark or rich.
    ...See More
  • andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes. Re hardwoods...I had read this forum and many others and was going to get them. Until I mentioned this to my sister who is a real estate appraiser and she recounted many, many problems/horror stories. Not wanting to be daunted, I told my book group and two of them had leaks!! (That's 25% of them.) That's why I began to change my mind...not that I hadn't done the research. Thanks.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/andi956/IMG_4384.jpg

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lowe's mock up from the front door.

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago
  • jakkom
    16 years ago

I think my friend takes the record. It took her DH (who does gorgeous work, admittedly) 17 years to finish her kitchen! Which looks gorgeous except now they're going to sell and move....

Anyway. Floorplan drawings would be much more helpful, drawn to scale. We can't really help you with arranging the cabs you bought when we really don't know what the measurements are.

Be advised when dealing with a small kitchen - our cottage is 884 sq. ft. on our main floor, so I understand your situation - you seriously need to measure everything the classic "three points on each wall," which means high, middle and low. Your cabs and layout will long outlast your appliances, and you do not want to be in my position, which is being stuck with exactly 29-7/8" for a range when what I desperately want, 10 yrs later, is a true 30" pro-style range! Or finding myself limited to certain refrig models, because I can only buy what fits into the surrounding cabs/wall.

This is why filler strips can be useful, in moderation!

Frameless cabs will give you more storage space, but IKEA cabs only space out in 3" increments, which is not always versatile enough for everyone. Scherr's can do custom in 1/2" increments, but they do cost more - not as much as assembled cabs, but still 2x IKEA.

I like Lowe's layout, if it works for you, but I will say that I hope you don't intend to leave a messy stove in full view of the LR? At least, in my kitchen the stove area is always a mess after cooking, so I made sure to hide it from both the LR and DR sightlines, even though our living spaces are otherwise open - we changed the layout when we remodeled and have a more contemporary open plan to the main level.

Keep posting, and people here will be glad to help. Good luck!

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jkom - Thanks for your reply. I *will* have a handyman help with my measurements--as I really don't want to mess up my counters. The stove is 30" now and I'll keep her until she dies (although I hate that black cooktop!)

Your reminder is a good one. Thanks!

As for the layout, yes...I have *some* reservations about seeing the stove but without closing up my window, also, there's no place to put it and it is really problematic now as you can't fully open it where it is.

I *hate* seeing stuff out. In fact, I currently store the blender and toaster except when using it. So, the stove generally stays clean.

I've resigned myself to just keeping it neat and living with the fact that I use my kitchen. (giggle).

(This is partly the reason I thought about keeping the *upper* space next to the stove open--to keep my print there and distract from the stove.

As for cabinets, I have only bought one base run that is 60" long and 24" deep. I also have uppers that look to be 12"-13" deep (I'm not sure if you measure from the back or inside!). There are 2 18" ones and 2 12" ones.

Again, I'm in an iffy neighborhood where a fancy remodel won't pay off in resale so I am trying to create a workable kitchen for not much money.

That said, as a teacher I don't make much money so am trying to also do something once and do it right...and just *maximize* what I can do.

Any thoughts on the laminate? Flooring?

Anything else very much appreciated. I have been slow and steady in part because I'm afraid to mess up but really can't take it any more. ;-/

• suz16
    16 years ago

We're in the same boat. Except your house is 100 sq. ft. bigger and I have a galley kitchen. One Ikea store we went to has a miniature, gridded metal "kitchen" and a basket of magnetic blocks to scale of their cabinets and appliances. I had a lot of fun playing with it. It helped me visualize the space. We're doing all the work ourselves, like we always do.

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Suz16- Yea--I wish Ikea was closer than 4 hours away!! I may just go for it. Everyone seems to agree that they are great cabs.

What did you end up doing? Any ideas for me?

• User
    16 years ago

Just my opinion but I would not try to match closely the wood floor you have unless you can exactly match it. Otherwise in my experience it looks better to coordinate with the floor not "almost" match which looks like you couldn't quite get it. I have wood floors and they have been in this kitchen since...about the early 80's or there abouts. They are still perfect. Never a leak. I don't know anyone who has ever had a dw leak. So if you can match exactly I would since it does give continuity. As to cabinets I love love the white set with the glass doors and the sink in it. I would sure keep those. I don't have any other suggestions. Great good luck to you. c

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Trailrunner - Thanks. Yea...the kitchen is small so sometimes I think I could just go for it and hope for the best.

I am def. keeping the glass cabs. I'm trying to build around those.

Thoughts on doing a "pass through" or not? You'd only see past the dining table and look at a closet door! Not a great view, but would feel more open and give us a "bar" for people to sit at.

Keep those ideas coming! Thanks!

• jakkom
    16 years ago

I love HW, but I'm biased because I don't love it in the kitchen. Just a personal preference; I like a cushy floor that doesn't show ANY dirt, so we went with slate-look solid vinyl tile from Metroflor. Great contrast to our oak flooring in the other rooms.

If you're on a budget, then certainly a DIY floating laminate floor would be the easiest to do. A contractor friend of mine who has a few investment properties, loves to use laminate in the kitchen. Looks good and is easier than anything else, he says.

I like pass-throughs myself. What the heck, hang a nice poster on the closet door and give yourself something pretty to look at (besides your friends, LOL)!

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jkom - Thanks. Yea...I'd love something *soft* because I have bad ankles. I was looking something to generally match to give "flow."

I have red oak...can I ask what color you have?

Sadly, the closet door is a bi fold so no poster for me, but I think I want the pass through anyway so people can sit there while I cook. (Not that I've had anyone over...it's a bear to cook here--for now!)

• suz16
    16 years ago

Basically, I'm trying to go step by step and take my time because I have a low tolerance for renovation stress. I loved my old kitchen but it was getting worn and I was down to 2 working burners on the stove.

I tried to assess what I liked about the old kitchen. At one time it was very trendy. I realized that I loved the brightness and the contrast between the all white counters, walls, vinyl floor, and cabinets and the black appliances and navy blue sink and navy blue cabinet handles. I liked that it was efficient because I didn't have to walk too far. I liked that the surfaces were easy to clean. We decided to get new countertop and bottom cabinets and sink and keep the old top ones but get new, matching handles on both to tie them in. We got the Ikea farmhouse sink and had it moved over 2 feet so that I could have a little more counter space next to the stove, and had it placed under the window which seems to make a better visual impact. A new dishwasher was switched with the sink so the plumber's cost was minimized. The new stainless dishwasher has wonderful features but isn't easy to clean.

I don't know whether I want to add a pass-through either. I have oak parquet tiles in the rest of the downstairs so I'm not sure if it's better to coordinate the floors or enlarge the visual space of the kitchen itself with white floors. And I still have the old stove due to indecision. Ruthlessly cleaning out a lot of useless stuff that's been hiding has made a difference too.

A guy who works at Home Depot said that the cabinets made by American Woodmark offer the best value for the money. He may be right but we really wanted to buy something off the shelf. Exchangeable if any problems arose.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

I think it's white oak, installed when the house was built in 1940. This photo is not color-accurate but I include it just to show how we transitioned the oak to the vinyl tile.

The oak is oil-poly finished and has a golden tone. The tiles are a more olive and tan color, not the jade-tone in the photo.

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, jcom.

Sadly, I don't think vinyl/slate is going to work for me. I just think with my view into three rooms I should try to have it flow.

I saw some gunstock the other day and it's close. Not pefect, but close. The older part of my house has dark,nearly black veining that the gunstock doesn't.

Anyone know of something else good? Or, am I a fool for trying. It won't match, but just for visual...ah...there's a generally same colored wooden floor kind of vibe?

Anyone see cabinet issues that I don't?

I am looking at the Ikea AKURUM Wall cab (e.g., horizontal w glass door) in Abstract Finish White which I understand from the forums is really glossy and white. I realize I can't get a perfect match, but am going to try to find a paint that I can use on my other cabs to match. Again, since you won't look left/right/left in the kitchen, I think anything reasonably close (e.g., white with common silver handles) will bring enough cohesion.

My sister says tear out the old ones but they seem perfectly good. Mom says a mix is fine. I'm bleary-minded. Thoughts?

thanks, ya'll!

• suz16
    16 years ago

While I was paying my check, I asked the restaurant owner, who is renovating, what kind of flooring they have in the kitchen. She told me unglazed tile, but that her daughter-in-law has wood laminate floors in her kitchen and she is able to wet mop them all the time. She just happened to have some samples behind the counter and, as luck would have it, the customer standing next to me said he's a kitchen contractor and he recommends Pergo wood laminate floors. I think I'll check that out, maybe one will blend with my other floors.

• kren_pa
    16 years ago

yes, well, we are at 1.5 years and still going. some walls were involved...so what? i think it will work out well even if it takes a while. about your cabinets, we removed our old cabinets and they were racked together with nails and screws. we had to take them out as a group...they were not separable. believe me we tried, because we had to fit them in the van to take them to the donation place. anyway, you may not be able to separate yours. we have old oak floors in the rest of our house. our kitchen has new prefinished oak which doesn't match exactly. it's ok and when the older floors are finished, we will try to match the newer ones. different lighting in the different spaces makes it less noticeable (it appears to be lighter in the kitchen because of the windows. in reality it just IS lighter). i did want to let you know though, that the POs had "matching" pergo in the kitchen and it did not match at all. although the color was a decent match, the surface was completely different and the nearby real wood floor just made the pergo look even more fake. now the vinyl tiles and planks can look good, i have seen those around.
    as far as laminate i don't have suggestions, but i think it's a good idea. kren

• suz16
    16 years ago

Kren, thanks for the heads up about fake looking Pergo. I thought it was brand name of laminate flooring.

Andi, I got Ikea Akurum cabinets with Stat doors. I wanted the Abstrakt at first but my kitchen is so sunny that I thought they might create too much glare. Seeing the cabinets in person was way different from seeing pictures.
    Some styles had rounded edges, some weren't the right shade of white, some weren't glossy enough. At first I thought I might just replace my worst bottom cabinet with
    a Kraftmaid cabinet in glossy grey, and then make a small glass front cabinet painted to match it and place it over the window to tie it in.
    I've had a couple of issues with my new Ikea cabinets, and will have to bring a couple of things back.

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

suz - Thanks for the comments re the cabs. I am actually going to be near an Ikea soon and will look at them there so I'll know what to order. Can you tell me what problems you've had? (Was putting them together a bear??)

Kren - Just want to be sure I hear you (after a 15 hour day I'm a bit out of it). You have *wood* and it looks good because you think it's the light that makes them look differently. Do you think laminate is a better option? I was thinking about real wood. All the choices!!

thanks.

Now if I can just decide on countertops! Thought I had it (did but now I'm not so sure. Have seen a lot of white cabs and black counters that look good. Have begun to think butcherblock with wood floors might be too much. Argh! Back to look at my inspiration photos).

:-)

• suz16
    16 years ago

Hi Andi,

I have 3 Ikeas within 2 hrs. of me and I've been to all 3. There are slight differences in their displays, I guess due to different demographics.

I would suggest going on a weekday, if at all possible.
    Eat something beforehand, have some caffeine and a Tylenol.
    I can't stress that enough!

The kitchen designers and sales staff were very helpful.

You'll get a lot more boxes and bags than you would expect.

One of my boxes looked damaged and one was re-taped,
    They replaced them on the spot. Later I noticed a couple of items were marked REA. I think they were returned- but seemed to be unopened and just fine.

The instructions are all pictograms- only one word "CLICK".
    If you're good at jigsaw puzzles, you'll be fine. Once you get one together- you're an expert.

One or two pieces weren't drilled exactly, and we had to come up with a couple of different screws to get things right, but all in all it was do-able.

We were sold some extra pieces, about $50 for panels. No idea what they are for. The drainpipe pieces for the sink were plastic, so we replaced them with metal ones from a plumbing supply store.

The next morning after installation, a small piece of an inside door panel appeared to be lifting. I know we didn't damage it, but I'm not sure they'll take it back since we attached the hardware. There's a slight ding on the counter that we may have caused by dropping a glass. So, we tried to intentionally damage a leftover scrap of counter with a hammer and it held up just fine. There's a tiny cut on drawer edge that's not noticeable.

I just don't know if they'll hold up as well as the ones we replaced (25 yrs.) They do come with a 25 year guarantee though.

But, I do LOVE the 30" drawer cabinet. The drawers work like a dream. They hold my pots and pans, so I no longer have to reach over a hot stove for them. And it's so easy to see everything. I wish I had gotten another one, but I'm going to keep small appliances in the other bottom cabinet and I thought the open space might be more flexible.

The laminate counters we got have white on one side and reverse to dove grey on the other. They have a metal edge
    which is very nice. They have another which is black on one side, reversing to whitewashed wood grain. I went with the white so that it would be brighter. I figured I can always accessorize with other colors.

I got hardware from Expo. Aqua beach-glass rectangles framed in stainless. I got matching square knobs for the upper cabinets. If I can figure out how, I'll send pix.

Any further developments on the floor choices? The pass-through?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

Hi Andi -- I began planning my kitchen last September, and will be doing it in stages over the next year or so. We just finally (yay!) replaced the tank water heater that's inside the kitchen with an exterior tankless unit today (how many months is that? lol). Since we want to remove a wall between the kitchen and dining room and change the size of our sliding glass doors in those rooms to make a wall of glass, we're now trying to find a good architect/structural engineer to do the structural drawings for us so that we can move to the next phase.

We're also going to use ikea cabinets. My plan is to buy the cabinets in stages instead of all at once -- that way I can return the extras and pick up missing pieces as I go. Also makes the overall price much less painful if it's a $200 drawer cab each month instead of a $6000 bill all at once.

We're doing wood floors in our kitchen since the room will flow into the dining room, entry, living and family rooms. We have wood floors that were put in in the 1980s. The finish has worn in the area next to our sliding glass door -- high traffic area -- but it's in good shape around the cooking zone and in front of the cabinet that has held the water heater for all those years. With the heavy duty finishes that so many prefinished floors have now, I'm not that worried about using wood. But then, I want scraped, aged looking floors anyway.

• suz16
    16 years ago

Hi Kren, Andi, Sara---, I took Kren's advice last night and brought home a sample of Armstrong vinyl planking from H. Depot. It doesn't look bad at all. Their fake wood looks more real than the Pergo and other laminates. It's also really thin so that the level doesn't change much. I't's textured but I'm a little concerned it may be a bit slippery if wet. And, it's self stick, will it self-un-stick too? I still have to do the tomato sauce test.
    As far as real wood in a kitchen- The week after we installed the polyurethaned oak parquet tiles, I accidently dropped a fish tank filled with water on them! They swelled a bit and I was ready to run away from home. After awhile they went right back to normal and have held up well for years and years.

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Suz - when reading your post about the fish tank my chest actually tightened! Glad it turned out ok.

sarschlos_remodeler - You're right...in a small space maybe water isn't such a big deal? Reading about floodstop was good to know about, too!

Thanks.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022