SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keebaby

selfish or not?

Keebaby
10 years ago

I was married for 27 yrs and have been divorced for 3, still living at home with me is my son who will be a senior in high school. We have always had dogs and cats, currently have our two cats but our last dog passed away from old age. I have been on a list with a breeder for a Keeshond puppy and have been notified a litter is due on 6/22 and I am in line for one.

I only work part time but will be working full time at some point and in a couple yrs my son will be leaving to attend college out of state so that means the dog will be alone for most of the day until I come home at the end of the day.

My question is, should I get the puppy or it is unfair and selfish of me? Keeshonds are great in adapting to their owners, if owners are active they are - if owners are 'lazy' they are happy to kick back with them.We have had a Keeshond in the past and he was wonderful, passing from old age. I am thinking a dog would be there as a companion but also as security to alert me if anyone should come around but also there to greet me at the end of my day. My son has also wanting a dog once again and would be here for the first few years of 'puppy behavior' to help and play with it. In the past our one cat never liked dogs (doubt that would change) but our other cat never minds them and often plays, interacts and lays with them - which I feel would give the puppy company when we are out.

I would welcome input please.

Comments (19)