SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mark_g_gw

Pressure Balance or Thermostatic Valve?

mark_g
15 years ago

We're building in the country, and are buying plumbing fixtures from Restoration Hardware. They offer either thermostatic or pressure-balance valves for the shower.

We are not planning anything extreme for the three showers in the house--good shower head and separate handheld shower for each. We see the handheld as an occasional accessory, or for rinsing soap off the walls.

I have heard there are problems connecting thermostatic valves to instant/tankless water heaters, but we're not yet committed to domestic hot water system. I've also heard that there's more to break on a thermostatic valve.

There may be times of high water usage (three and a half baths plus kitchen), and I know our well is capable of keeping up flow requirements, though have heard there can be occasional fluctuations from the pump kicking on to refill the pressure tank.

Your thoughts and experiences appreciated on which type of valve we should use. One other option is to use the thermostatic valve in the master, but the other two baths get pressure balance types??

Thanks! Mark

Comments (5)