SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darby427

space between granite and backsplash - suggestions needed

darby427
10 years ago

In my wisdom back in the day I built a tile counter top and built it well.. 3/4" plywood, 1/2" backer, and then the tile. It ended up being almost 2" thick - you could drive a truck on it :)
Its gone now and time for granite.

The original backsplash is staying because it will go well with the granite. Problem is, there will be about 1/2 - 3/4" between the top of the granite and the bottom of the backsplash. Any suggestions as to what to do? The floor is new laminate (15mm) with the original harwood (3/4") below the cabinets.

I have thought about putting either 1/2" or 3/4" plywood under the cabinets and then a thin grout line between the top of the granite and bottom of the backsplash.

I had thought about shimming the granite up slightly - is that even possible? - and then going with a thicker grout line

Another other option is to add a thin decorative piece between the granite and backsplash, but then there may not be enough room for grout.

I have also thought about putting the cabinets directly on the subfloor to create a larger gap so the decorative piece would fit.

Thoughts, comments, and suggestions welcomed!

thanks!

Comments (32)