SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Requesting input on bedding (long and heavy)

funkyart
15 years ago

Some of you may remember that back in the summer I posted pictures and requested help with how to use bedding to work with my bed and old birds eye maple furniture. I had splurged on an iron bed with custom finish that turned out to be a different color than I had been promised. I also needed to find a way to make the birds eye maple work for a while longer since the rustic chest I had bought for the room wouldn't fit up the stairs.

The bed color is very pretty but very hard to work with. Paired with blues, it looks green and paired with greens it looks blue. Arggg. The Bosporus Flax really works well with it-- so I bought a number of yards of the bosporus toile to make a duvet. When it arrived, I draped it across the bed and it looked dead-- all the beauty and life in the toile seemed to slip away. I was disgusted and walked away from it for 6 months.

Fast forward a few weeks ago when I was inspired to try the fabric on the windows (thanks, Ttodd!) I draped the fabric over my curtain rods and immediately fell in love again. I think the toile needs the drape and maybe even backlighting to come alive.. it looks great and I love it.

So now I have to figure out what bedding to put on the bed to work with the bosporus flax.. I have overcome my fear of light colored bedding but I do want to stick with natural fibers. I am comfortable layering it up-- so right now I am looking for the right duvet cover and then will go from there. I have three duvet options that are high on my list but I am stuck and can't seem to make a decision. Do you think any of the three will work? Do you have another suggestion??

Here is a photo of the bed and the fabric:

{{!gwi}}

I can't get photos of the bedding since they are displayed in flash on the websites. But here are the links:

Option 1 - The cirrus duvet in cream from anthropologie. I love this one but I am concerned that they style doesn't work with the texture of the toile which is very linen like.

(sorry my links were failing so I will put in three posts)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cirrus Bedding

Comments (60)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bella - I love the first duvet.. is it linen? I have considered linen also. I also love the PB one but it is white and I think I need a cream/off white and I am not sure voile is a good idea with the dogs. I may just give it a try though. Where did you find the duvet and all the bedskirts? They are lovely.

Parma - haha yes, well Bella has lovely taste and instincts! It is always easier to spend someone else's money though (thinking back to some hot italian sunglasses a friend turned me onto.. ) ;)

Scooby -- it really is a lovely fabric and so I can't tell you how disappointed I was when it didn't work as beautifully on my bed. I will definitely use touches of it on the bed.. but as the main cover, it didn't work. I do intend to use a matelasse cover. I have an ivory one but if I go with white duvet cover, I will probably go with the linen/flax kind of color for the matelasse. I definitely need a duvet cover.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts-- and thanks for reading my mind Bella haha. My next issue to tackle is room color. I would prefer not to do taupe though as all but two rooms in the house are taupe. I am thinking an ivory or a very light blue gray like BM cashmere gray (I think that's the name).

• ttodd
    15 years ago

BELLA! Where did you find that 1st skirt?! Love it! I want to layer bedskirts on my bed.

Funkyart - I though that the Anthropolgie one would look really nice but that's all that I thought. Didn't care for the Horchow one - too bright. Then I saw the Eileen Fishcer ones and said YES in the cream and sagey blue. The texture is so nice and the colors perfect.

Calico Corners has the Cypress Grove collection w/ Bosp. and other coordinating fabrics. I have samples of almost all of them. The stripe looks weird (bright) on-line but IRL is a wonderful companion to Bosp. If you call the the closest store to you can have them send samples to you. They did so for me at no charge.

• Related Discussions

Drought and watering, request your experiences

Q

Comments (35)
    Hi, everyone. Melissa, I don't know whar our annual rainfall is, nor exactly what kind of rock it is I have mostly. I think it might be the raw material for terracotta though. It is predominantly this very soft rock that in many places literally makes up the only "soil" that is there. It is a total b###h to dig and work this type of earth; as of now I have all the paths covered in mounds of this rock which I've removed in the course of making the beds. Once exposed to the elements, it starts very quickly crumbling into smaller pieces,which in time very gradually will continue to break down until it becomes clay. So I think it's very poor and alkaline. I gave in and watered some of the new implants the other day. Probably not necessary (none were wilting) but I felt so bad for all of the roses. Many have leaves that are turning yellow,so that means they are going dormant. There are a few, very poor quality flowers. I agree, sort of pointless when it's so hot and unpleasent outdoors,you don't want to encourage roses to bloom in July here in Italy at least. IMHO, they just exhaust themselves. Paul Zimmerman said he treats summer as a dormant time for roses, and I think he's right.Contrary to what tourist publicity wants us to think, in reality summer is the beginning of the year's decline. A few years ago, I tried soaker hoses, but gave it up:I'm still changing too much in my garden,it's on such a steep slope that I'm not confident that the water is being distributed evenly, and above all I just don't have enough stored-up water to really SOAK the roses. When I dug up some roses that I had watered artificially to move them, they really did, quite literally, have roots growing UPWARD to the soil surface!So, I stopped . Maybe one day I'll have my act together enough to lay down the hoses under a thick mulch, and use them to distribute water, not with the idea of watering the roses, but only in the spring, with the idea of maintaining the soil moisture as far into the season as possible.This past year, we had good rain during autumn and winter,but the "drought" (I put that in quote after reading about greybird's situation)in April messed things up. regards, bart
    ...See More

Revised & Ready for further input

Q

Comments (4)
    I don't think of it as quite complete yet I have not addressed the bugs we encounter. So anyone else that wants to see something not present in it please let me know. The final version I will post as FAQ in the sugject heading.
    ...See More

Master bedroom--furniture input wanted

Q

Comments (9)
    The room is 14'2" x 18'10", counting the sliding door bump out. I went ahead and ordered the bedding--my husband thinks it is "okay", but as we looked at other things, he didn't find anything he thought was better than "okay", so he's on board with the purple floral :-). However, jissicam1 has a point--I really want to paint the walls, but if I get the bedding I want, I can afford to let him keep the Shaker Beige walls. (Another plus--leaving the walls the same color is free.) I don't really love the craftsman style--I just like the slats. But he doesn't. We're going to go to the Amish furniture place this weekend and look around. I suspect that we'll end up with a panel or sleigh bed that is fairly simple in its lines but is absolutely gorgeous in terms of the wood. This one is probably too modern for him: but this might not be: People's comments are *really* helping. (and DH will be thrilled someone stood up for him with regards to the walls) (And that people are reminding me that we'll have this furniture a LONG time)
    ...See More

***help requested mbr window tx - pic heavy tia ***

Q

Comments (8)
    I also thought about doing panels on those two windows and stacked back to the outsides. But if you ever wanted to close them, I donâÂÂt know that you would be able to do that without them hitting the rad. I think the idea of roman shades is lovely. I like the first trim the best. but I am a bit concerned that it is not quite wide enough to make any difference. I would just do it on the bottom of the shade, a couple of inches up from the edge, but I think I would consider addding a narrower grey ribbon on either side of the 1â grey, with just a little breathing space between them. Just wondering if the linen will be substantial enough to hold the roman shade pleats? Will the blackout lining make the fabric crisp enough to hold over time? In the alternative, you could leave the trim off the body of the blinds, but do a small self valance and put the trim an inch or two in from the edge of that. Great way to pull the eye up in the space, too. A very restful, pretty space.
    ...See More
  • parma42
    15 years ago

Oooh, oooh...look into some of the Farrow and Ball colors that we've been talking about.

They are so subtle and gorgeous!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jaybird.. thanks for the suggestion. I have not seen a companion stripe but I will look for one.

I love my furry cover too-- in fact, I have two who together leave little room for me. The bed is high-- and I am not sure I will keep the stairs to get up on the bed when I get new bedding. :( (even though the thought makes me sad).

• budge1
    15 years ago

I just saw a show on HGTV (canada) last night where she used a similar toile for the drapes and a soft washed out linen stripe in pink cream and brown on the bed. It looked great. They also put a white linen roman blind under the toile drapes. I found the episode online, but no pics :-(

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oops hahah.. I wrote my post before my meeting started and submitted after it was done (yes, I am just walking out of a client meeting at 7:30pm ugh). SO I am just seeing the most recent messages.

Ttodd-- thanks for your input. I love the eileen fisher too and quite honestly, it would be absolutely lovely if I could wear all eileen fisher and outfit my house in it too haha. I will look around for the cypress grove-- we don't have a calico corners nearby but I am do a phila trip.

Parma-- too funny. I have been looking at their colors for the last few weeks. I used to scoff at all who raved about it and then I saw some of the photos of rooms done in F&B. It is noticeably much more rich and gorgeous. You'll all have to help me pick colors next!

Thanks everyone.. this room has become such a huge disappointment to me. I was sending emails out a few weeks ago trying to sell off the bed-- that is how upset I was. Unfortunately the economy means I won't get anywhere near what I invested so it is here to stay with me for a bit. You all have me not only accepting it but excited again. Thank yous all around.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Don't sell the bed. I love it so much I'm thinking of painting my bird bed like yours. :-D You can so create a moody romantic room like those Anthropologie or Ralph Lauren's add with that bed.

The bed skirt & white bedding are from laylagrace. Honestly, if you are only looking for duvets, and matching skirt, I would get embroidered linen and prewash it and hire a seamtress to make it. Get the embroidered scallop trim. I was thinking maybe very pale blueish grey linen or cream bedding, couple distressed side table in Gustavian style, sheer flowing panel w/ those Bosphorus pulled back casually. Next to the bed, an antique urn overflowing with blue/green hydrangea. Maybe an antique vanity or desk, with an old tarnished mirror... This room can be so fantabulous! :-D

I love love love F&B paint and already I thought of a million possible colors for your room. :-D Okay maybe not a million but quite a few. :-D

Parma is right, the only thing I'm good at is spending $$ :-D

Ttodd: I love layered bedskirt too. Too bad my DH is not into all the feminine touches and the only room where I get to have fun is my DD's room!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Budge- that sounds lovely too. There is a lot of pink in the castings on the bed. I had planned to take a paint brush to them to tone it down. I love the idea of linen shades as the windows open onto a busy street so they are the perfect option for some privacy and for diffusing the bright morning light. I had always pictured flowy sheers but the shades are more practical.

Bella, you totally have my vision. I have had an old english garden mental picture since I selected the bed. Before, even. Soft colors, natural fibers, feminine but not fussy. Hydrangeas-- absolutely! I do need to keep the birds eye maple for a bit-- put I anticipate swapping in interesting painted pieces.

I have shopped Laylagrace but never even looked at their skirts! They are beautiful. Dare I look at the price?

I hadnt thought of sewing a linen duvet-- that is definitely an option. I would love embroidered linen or a subtle pattern if I could find the right color.

Gosh, I can't thank you all enough!

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Bird eye maple would look good too. Actually, I think it would look fantastic. More english, less Swedish.

I really love these bedding :-D Well, since we are dreaming ...might as well go for serious fantasy :-D

Here is a link that might be useful: some gorgeous linen

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

with some bedding for your to look at

Here is a link that might be useful: more bedding

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh gosh.. such beautiful beds and linens. I am especially drawn to the european linens. I really need to figure out my budget for bedding else I could easily go way overboard.

Thank you for all the links, Bella. I have a lot to look at and decide.. but for the moment, I need to sleep. I think all those lovely cloud beds pushed me into it ;)

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Excuse me, but what is your dog going to do to pristine and oh-so delicate snow white bed covers? Hello?

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

She can get it in the Parchment color :-D and the dog's hair would blend in just fine.

Or she can shave her dog :-) LOL

just kidding.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

... the relaxation that comes from practicality. These seem like a lot less worry with the dog (some better than others, but none diaphanous)...

{{gwi:1531643}}

{{gwi:1531671}}

{{gwi:1531673}}

{{gwi:1531733}}

{{gwi:1531743}}

{{gwi:1531744}}

This is from "Specialty Linens" (http://www.specialtylinens.com/bedframes/rodiron/rodironbedframes.htm):

Or, why not go with both the blue and the green by doing both in the pillows?

{{gwi:1531682}}

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

I meant to add this earlier but had to get off the puter.

BTW, I also meant to tell you that your bed is beautiful:)

This is a pretty bedspread from JCpenney's in a flax color - can't show pic b/c it is one of those moving picture things:)

Smiles:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Jc link

• les917
    15 years ago

Sorry, not crazy about the puckered fabric -never mind what it reminds me of.

What about this for the bed? I think the color and texture might work well, and the damask pattern reminds me of the decorative metal work on the bed.

picadilly sand damask

The other way to go would be a warmer beige tone linen and then add piping on the edges in the blue from the skirt of the gown in the toile.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your suggestions.. Oceanna, you make a good point about the dogs, but as I noted above, I am not sure that I will allow the dogs on the bed. When I was searching 6 months ago, I refused to consider light colors or a white/cream layered bed because of the dogs but I have since removed the stairs (the bed is very high and they cant get up without the stairs). The two dogs fill the bed and it really is too high for my two (one is elderly, one has cancer)

That said, I am open to a floral but I have not found one as yet that works well with the bed and helps showcase the bed. I am not coming here without looking-- I have spent many months looking for the right floral.

Les, maybe I am being dense at 5am but I dont get what the pucker reminds you of haha. I am looking at linen fabrics but I definitely dont want anything too stuffy or traditional. I want light and fresh.. and something that will work with that vintage garden look.. just a hop away from shabby chic.

I will keep looking-- I am definitely hooked on the linens (but oy, the price tags!). Thank you for all your suggestions.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am leaning towards a white/ivory linen duvet cover with eileen fisher items for layering-- leaning towards the honeycomb quilt and euro shams in marble but I like the pebble style too. I am trying to decide if I want ruffles (I think I do) or if that is too fussy.

I would like to use a flax or natural color duvet but I am afraid it will dull the room too much. Also, thinking the white/ivory will work better with the honey color of the birds eye maple.

I will have pillows made of the bosporus toile and will look for another pattern or texture for additional pillows.

I am eager to look at F&B colors as they seem to add such depth and interest to a room and I think it will help give the simple bedscape oomph. I have a big task ahead of me to remove the PO's wallpaper though.

Thoughts? too much mixing and matching? too simple?

Thanks for hanging with me- this has been a lonnnng painful process since the bed arrived.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I see I missed a great thread while doing budget stuff with DH. :( ugh.
    I swooned - well just about when I saw the bed! Its to die for. The bosphorus is also one of my absolute favorites and I can see it as the WTs. I think you are on the right track with a linen-y bed cover with a texture.

So- I am so late the only thing I can add is that since you will no longer allow the pups on your bed, be cautious of your bed skirt.Our dogs are too big to be on our bed, so they curl up against it. The natural oils in retreivers( ours are goldens) makes the skirt look dirty very quickly. So I suggest a bed skirt that can hold up to being washed many times in it's lifetime, be easily washed, and not need ironing. A pattern of some kind helps immensely.
    oh I also love the idea of the birds eye maple - I think I even remember the piece.
    Have fun decorating with that gorgeous bed!!

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I think your plan sounds great. The Eileen Fisher piece (IMO) has a more contemporary flair so that would add a surprising element to your bed.

In term of fabric, I would go plain & simple to let the bed shine. JMO. :-D

Good luck. Too bad you don't live near me, or I can sew you 1 of those duvet in like a weekend (with kids, everything takes twice as long! Without kids, probably takes less than a day. ) :-D

• User
    15 years ago

I love your bed frame! Don't give up! After reading through this thread and considering all of the opinions and suggestions, I think that there is a conflict of beauty and pragmatism. I agree with Cooperbailey - the bedskirt should hold up to contact with your furry friends. Even if you do not allow access to the bed, they will want to be close to you when you are sleeping. Our pup invented a method of sleeping on the floor beside our bed with his head poked underneath the bedskirt. If you still plan to use the Bosporous print for the window treatment, I like the idea of picking up that color palette with a striped or checked material for the bedskirt and finding a bed coverlet that matches the cream in the Bosporous print. Examples, but not necessarily color matches:
    {{!gwi}}
    Another thought, which you may have already considered and rejected is using the Bosporous print for the bedskirt. Otherwise, I like the Eileen Fisher Channeled Bedding in the "Muslin" color (the blue in your pattern looks more like a teal blue and the"Marble" looks blue-grey to me). That being said, I think that it would be a better, more practical choice to use matelassé. Take a look at the Restoration Hardware Diamond Matelassé in "Ivory." I'm sure that whatever you eventually decide to do will be lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cooper-- you so totally arent late to the thread! I have had the damn bed since May.. and well that thread about the sofa table went on for dayyyyyyyys ;) I absolutely love Bella's bedskirts but as you note, they arent good wth dogs. My lab/golden mix is only part of the problem-- the rottweiler/mastiff is worse. Her natural oils are even heavier and her hair poofs are black. Plus, at $300+ they are the stuff of dreams. I will splurge on a duvet but not a skirt.

Bella - Yes, the Eileen Fisher is more contemporary than I'd like for a complete set. I want a cloud to sleep in. I do like the textures and I am hoping that the color is right. It looks different on each of my computers so I will be taking a chance with the marble color. I do know that I want to layer with two different colors.

n1cf2 - oh yes, I will use a pattern on the bedskirt. Bosporus is a possibility but it depends on how well the bedding works with the toile. Either way, it will probably be a print of some sort. I guess I was saving that decision for last.

I do have a quilt/shams that look good with the bed-- but the design doesnt work with the bosporus. What works here is that it has both green and blue. Neither match the bed-- or even come close but the combo is visually appealing (to my eye at least). I like it.. but it is a different look and not as soothing and calm to me as the direction the bosporus will take the room. It also has a contemporary vibe but I could probably tone it down some if I gave up on the bosporus. I also think it has a "young" vibe. As I approach my 45th bday, it doesnt feel "right" for my age.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I found some inspirational pics--I love how they style the bed: simple, sophisticated, and very elegant. These don't have to be the exact bedding for your bed -- I'm just using them as an example of how I would style your bed.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

You can play with texture and use a very pale color scheme (cream & pale blue), then use the Bosphorus toile to make 2 accent pillows, maybe add a center pillow with embroidered monogram. I will play up the texture but keep the color pale & dreamy.

Hope this help. :-D Not knowing your style -- I'm doing this purely from my own esthetic point of view. :-)

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

Of the three, I like the eileen fisher the most. But if that is too contemporary, and you like matelasse, how about using a matelasse duvet cover in ivory or taupe? Pottery barn has one, westelm does too. There's at least one pottery barn matelasse duvet cover listed on ebay right now. Linensource.com had them in a few patterns for pretty cheap prices, but most colors and sizes are now sold out.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay PB matelasse duvet

• User
    15 years ago

The last quilt is perfect with the bed frame! I agree - not with the lovely Bosporous toile - do you have another use for it? It would be so easy to find a bed skirt and window treatment to achieve a soft, inviting and not-so-fussy English Country look. I see soft linen in a solid, coordinating color or tonal print for the bedskirt and and window treatment.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Bellaflora - Love those inspiration photos! Where did you collect all of them?

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bella.. you totally hit my style. really. I love every one of those rooms and would be thrilled to come close to one of the looks. I dont go quite so heavily that direction for the rest of my house but for my bedroom you have really hit it. Simple, sophisticated, natural, soothing. The key I think is the palest of pales with just hints of color. That is my plan for the walls too-- so pale you cant really say if it is blue or green. Before I decided I needed to keep the birds eye maple, I was envisioning painted furniture and even some garden furniture in the room-- elegant but vintage and pretty.

And Bella, thank you so much for your time and dedication to my room. I so appreciate it.

Robin - I have a matelasse duvet cover that I love. It is an old eddie bauer design in pale green and has to be 10 yr old and still in great shape-- unfortunately it is way too yellow of a green to work wth the bed. I have yet to find a floral matelasse (which I think the bed needs more than a geometric) duvet cover but I will look at PB and west elm.

A new question: I notice in Bella's room photos that a number of the beds have skirts that do not reach the floor. My bed is very high and with the dogs, it is preferable to not carry the skirt to the floor. I think they look fine a few inches above the floor-- what do you think??

• sweeby
    15 years ago

So the bed is 'sorta blue -- sorta green' --
    What color do you WANT it to be?

I'd choose a mostly plain flax linen (rumpled, not starched) and accent with a deeper version of the color you want it to be.
    Maybe a scalloped edge on the top cover bound with a deeper aqua? Or lots of pillows --
    I love the idea of layered sheer and lacey bed skirts...

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, the bed was supposed to be more garden green. But no matter what color I want it to be, it is one of those colors I haven't been able to nudge in one direction or another. It is layered with color so I have been tempted to add my own paint to it but it is a waxed finish so I'd have to remove that first.

I do love flax-- but I need to be careful with how much of it I use. My floors and furniture have a fair amount of honey orange in them and they look best with some white or ivory. I think that is why the bosporus looked dead on the bed... I need the brightness. I will layer with it but it cannot be a primary color.

Do you think white/ivory will be too much as a primary color? It took me 6 months to mentally accept white/ivory on my bed haha.. it better work.

Those are great linens. n1Cf2!

I will look more on the weekend.. work is not permitting enough time to respond and search too. (Darn those clients)

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Bosp:

I can't see bright white w/ bosp. at all, sorry! Creams and muddiedish colors - yes.

I'm sitting her looking at my bosp. swatch and reading most of the replies. My pure and honest opinion (as other's have also suggested) is this:

Get a couple of matalesse or light weight quilts and layer them. Maybe one in cream and on in sand as they are so pet friendly. Blowout w/ a duvet cover and big fat feather insert in a super rich color picking up on that bosp. toile. Here are some ex:

A companion fabric (doesn't look like it on monitor but it matches bosp IRL & is lovely & Lineny looking w/ bosp:

Montaigne

Another companion (very pretty but scale may be too small for duvet)

Whitehall Azure:

My favorite (not part of the collection but bang on in color to the greeney, gray in bosp. This fabric is thick, luxurious w/ a subtle sheen - it is a diamond quilt):

Stark in Jade:

Make a throw out of the bosp w/ maybe Chilton Bronze velvet on the reverse (pics up that wonderful brown in bosp.):

Back pillows in a matalesse or quilt sham in a smokey blue or bluish jade.

Front pillows in cream or soft white matalesse or quilted sham.

Neckroll or round pillow in bosp.

A spare few more pillows in chilton bronze and/or Whitehall Azure.

White sheets w/ a bluish sagey trim, embroidered edge to turn down.

Cream or soft white lineny like bed skirt that is washable.

Trim out that toile curtain w/ fringe or small tassel.

Just my 2 cents.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I really appreciate all the suggestions and all the time everyone has spent.. unfortunately dark colors and traditional patterns aren't going to work with the bed or the look I want for the room.

I thought the bosporus did look good with ivory but I trust your instincts more than mine. I will ditch the bosporus since the bed was the big investment and is providing the biggest challenge to work with. If I can't set off the bed (and make me love it) then bosporus isnt the right choice. I already knew it didnt work on the bed-- i was just hoping to be able to keep it for the windows. Oh well.

I will follow the lead of Bella's suggestions and go for the big soft cloud look. Thanks again all.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I think that the bed skirts falling short of the floor in the photos would work on your style of bed beautifully. As long as it was not pleated that would just look "high water" to me. Keep us posted!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK so with bosporus out (wahhh haha), I am rethinking the direction and going back to a few of my previous thoughts.

Assume that I will have 1 or more quilts/matelasse and duvet in the room. I sleep without my duvet. I would also have Euro and throw pillows.

I have the quilt above and shams.. and a few other quilts that could probably work if they weren't the primary cover. I will try them out when I have a duvet etc.

I found this pillow a few weeks ago-- a tad contemporary but I love it. I was thinking that the orange could help pull in the floors and birds eye maple. It doesnt have the vintage feel I want but can I make it work?

From Bliss Studios

In my mind the room colors should all be pale--but I keep coming back to this pillow. Do you think the style could work with the billowy simple sophisticated look of the beds Bella shared? Is it too colorful? It is a bit more than I normally pay for pillows so I would really appreciate input on it before I order it.

Sorry, I know I am all over the place but this is how it has been since the bed arrived. I really want to complete the room by my birthday in April. (Not likely since i havent even started on paints yet.. but I can dream haha)

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Sorry I missed that about the dogs. If you've been forbidden from white by your dogs for years and now you don't have that consideration, I can sure understand the draw of white.

• robin_DC
    15 years ago

Honestly I thought you were on the right track with your original idea. And, this may sound crazy, but why not use that pillow with your off-white linens and the bosphorus drapes?

What made you decide that the toile wouldn't work with solid bedding? Here are some photos that show how people mixed patterned drapery with solid bedding. I would think that approach would work in your room, especially since your bed/headboard has a lot of detail.

Oh and re: the non-geometric or floral matelasse duvets; i've been searching for one myself for weeks and linensource.com was the only website where I found the one that I ordered(but most of the patterns & colors they had are now sold out in full or queen sizes). I think Eddie Bauer had a lattice print, and everyone else had stripes, dots, or squares.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Robin.. I am not backing off the bosporus because it is a pattern but because ttodd (who is a bosporus flax cheerleader!) doesn't see it working with white/ivory. I really feel like I need the bright/light of white or ivory to showcase the bed and work with the wood tones. I dont know that it is all that different from the photos you've shared so maybe I was too quick to give up on it.

Oceanna.. I have tried lots of colors and patterns with the bed.. a busy pattern overpowers and hides the bed. If I am to keep it, I want the bed to be center stage. That said, I wouldnt go with a light color if the dogs were to be on the bed. It is just toooo high .. even with the stairs. I do appreciate all the photos though. They are lovely rooms.

I have a busy day tomorrow-- I will clear my head and look at all the photos and options again tomorrow evening.

• msrose
    15 years ago

Oh no! Don't back off the bosporus. I'm living vicariously through you right now, because I'm dying to do a bedroom with bosporus. I think the muslin in the Eileen Fisher would work. It's one that you were originally considering and it's not a bright white. I think the stripe that ttodd posted would look great with it. I remember someone posted a plaid that also looked good with it, but I can't remember who it was.

Laurie

• msrose
    15 years ago

I found the plaid. Look at kmcg85's post.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: plaid fabric

• ttodd
    15 years ago

STOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPP! I don't see it working w/ BRIGHT WHITE and the Anthropolgie quilt looked so white.

I would absolutely make the core part of the bedding Ivory or Cream. Yes, yes, yes! I just think that it will nd. something accent wise at the bottom, top and small middle accent in a weightier color (maybe a whisper of the color - nothing to compete w/ your bed) pulled from the bosp. For instance if you layer your pillows standing up I would do this:

Euros in very back against headboard, do those in a dusty blue or that crazy light taupish/grey in the bosp to set off that wonderful bed finish.

Next do your sleeping pillows in maybe an ivory/ warm white. What about something w/ a nice lace edge?

Next kick in a scant few accent pillows in some of the bosp shades like that beautiful grey/green/blue color that's a hair deeper.

At the bottom if you're not wild about a duvet folded in 3rds at the bottom (that's where mine always is) maybe just a nice throw in the bosp.? Although the pretty color of your footboard would certainly be enough to pull color down to the bottom and leave you w/ that light airy feeling.

The following BM colors are ones that I closely matched up w/ those shades in the fabric:

Gloucester Sage HC 100
    Clarkesville Gray HC 102
    Providence Olive HC 98
    Abingdon Putty HC 99
    Wedgewood Gray HC 146
    Woodlawn Blue HC 147
    Delaware Putty Forget #

Anyone remember who is that hairdresser lady on Rate My Space that did her bedroom in Sandy Hook Gray w/ bosp in flax for curtains and white bedding? Very pretty although I don't see the wall color for the look that you're after though.

• parma42
    15 years ago

"STOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPP!"

You're so funny, ttodd!

I've been meaning to get back to this thread but was on a mission with our bank to find out if we have a Freddie or Fannie (no we don't *sigh* long story and not as much fun as bedding).

I knew what ttodd was getting at and, no, don't give up your bosporus!

• tinam61
    15 years ago

I was just going to say that I thought ttodd said not to use it with stark white, I believe she commented cream(ivory, etc.) would work. And it will. I also have a sample of the bosporus and it's one consideration for our bedroom also. I bought a creme matelase coverlet, shams and bedskirt. I also bought another coverlet - completely different texture, not satiny but that's the closest thing I can think of in a gold, tannish color, also bought shams in this. Much the color of the chilton bronze. IF I use bosporus (can't decide!) I will use it for additional pillows, possibly drapes, although I am thinking of a solid with a fringe with the blue(aqua)/tan/creme fringe. I also found a greyed aqua fabric that looks great with the bosporus, to cover a chair.

If you go to the Calico Corners website and look at the collection ttodd mentioned, you can *view fabrics in a room* and you will see two examples of the bosporus flax on a bed. There is also another plaid (more colorful) at Calico Corners, seamist I believe is the name. It's aqua/taupe.

ttodd, it doesn't happen to have the name/maker of that stripe on the sample does it? That fabric is $50+ a yard, on sale I believe.

tina

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HAHAHA Ttodd and Parma.. ok, I have snapped out of it (said like Cher). I was so very stressed yesterday but I felt like I had an obligation to check the thread and respond even though I wasn't focused in the least. I agree that white is a no go-- and I don't even know why I was saying white because I would use ivory or a light cream. But I had myself in a tizzy about other stuff so reading Ttodd's post quickly and I was alllllllll ready to start over. I was a billion levels of self doubt.

I definitely want to layer up the bed both with color and texture but I feel like I need a duvet first. I would not fold up my duvet at the bottom of the bed-- unless I used two (a possibility but would that look insane?). The only way my bed stays made is for me to just whip up the duvet-- and I really do use it as a cover year round. It isn't decorative.

We don't have calico corners here but I will look at some coordinating patterns. I kind of don't want to take on sewing a bed skirt-- though I don't know why. It can't be that hard, can it? I would consider reupholstering something for the room though-- I know I want a bench/stool but would also like a lazy chair.

Paint colors! I am familiar with some of those and have a few SW strips already. I am really seriously thinking of going with the f&b paints though-- they really come alive for me and since I intend to use a pale color, I think the depth and complexity will make a big difference in the room. I LOVE taupes but the entire house is taupe so I will go with a very pale hue or a rich cream. I will start a new thread for wall color after I have bedding in hand.

Thanks again and sorry for freakin a little ;)

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Who'd of thunk this thread would get so long?!

Tina - as soon as I find where DS but that swatch I will check the back. He was ever so helpful while I napped and cleaned my desk for me. Now he's forgotten where he put some things :)

Funkyart - sometimes in patterened fabrics I have a hard time seeing what just one or two of the colors in the print are so I match them up to paint chips to get a bigger view of the color - that's why I listed all of those colors.

LOVE F&B and was just matching shades to bosp the other wknd. aftr my new color cards arrived! How timely! Since I've really been considering using the bosp flax for all of out downstairs windows in our forever house one of the options tat I really considered was doing all of the walls in a rich warm creamy shade:

F&B: Pointing

Keeping it on the lighter side but not as warm is F&B Slipper Satin, Skimming Stone & also Lime White (looks fab w/ bosp!).

Darker options (now I tend to lean towards the grey/green/blue in bosp):

F&B:
    Shaded White
    Stony Ground
    Hardwick White
    Blue Gray
    Pigeon
    Old White
    Bone
    Light Gray

I saw on anothr just recently started thread the afore mentioned hairdressers bedroom where she used bosp flax for window treatments. Dark, moody gorgeous rm. Not quite the style I think that you're going after but there may be something there for you to glean from it!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I absolutely love the hairdressers' bedroom and even the mood-- I could live forever in that room. Much as I love the wall color, it will make my bed look more aqua. The bed color is really throwing me a curve ball. It was to be more mossy, aged garden green than aqua. It really doesnt like to be paired with greens at all (at least not the greens I have).

Almost my entire house is painted in a gray/green taupe-- it is one of those that is a chameleon but it definitely has a green undertone.. so I want something different for my bedroom.

I was looking at F&B paints the other day-- knowing full well that I was getting ahead of myself (though still, I intend to order some samples today) but I was liking gray blue and pointing. I am intrigued by pidgeon-- as IRL I think the coloring of pidgeons is mesmerizing. I will check out the others you mentioned also.

Once I have made some bedding decisions, I will start a new thread on paints. I am seriously considering moving my bedroom to another room that gets more light and has better energy-- and that will likely affect the paint decision.

BTW do you get your F&B locally? I am west of you (Harrisburg/Camp Hill) but I would travel rather than pay shipping.

Thanks for all your help-- everyone.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

I def. think your bed calls for a lighter wall color too so that it can be a stand out piece. My bed is almost exactly like yours in style but it is black w/ brushed silver medallions.

I haven't tried F&B yet as the closest seller is in NJ (I'm outside of Philly used to be in Lancaster so it was a nice surprise to see that you are in the Harrisburg area). Somebody did have an excellent suggestion though of seeing if there is a local designer near you that deals w/ F&B and seeing if you can order through them.

• leahcate
    15 years ago

ttodd..."who'd of thunk this thread would get so long?"
    ..Yes! I saw it and put some popcorn in the mic...darn!
    Love seeing F.arts gorgeous bed and all the pretty pics. Sorry, that's it from me:>/ ">)

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ahh Ttodd, I work in Lancaster and used to live there for a few years. Before that, I was in the Phila area. I'd love to move back to Chester or Bucks County.

Is your bed vintage too? Mine came from a foundry close to where my grandparents grew up.

Leah, glad you enjoyed the thread-- aren't all the photos dream worthy? You can still have popcorn though--even without the drama ;)

• krissd
    15 years ago

Where is the best place to get this bosphorous toile? I have been stuck on it since some of you wrote of it in another thread. Love it.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

How in heavens did I miss this thread? And now it makes sense of another thread where Funkyart mentioned using the Bosporus from her bedroom plan in the LR. Not having internet (most of the time anyway) at work now, keeps me out of the loop.

Love the photos here. Love the bed, funky. Did you paint? Did you find bedding? I need to know how the story ends! And I love knowing that others are like me. I will get completely carried away with one aspect of a room, perhaps fabric or paint color. I post for help with finishing up, and before I know it, I have completely scrapped my paint shade or my fabric that was set to be the center, and gone in a different direction. The input from this forum is invaluable to focus my thinking. And most of you experience that too, I think?

For Krissd........there are many online sources for the bosporus toile. Houseoffabrics has it, as well as others. Locally, I found two of the colorways but not the Flax. You just have to look around at the resources nearby, perhaps you will get lucky.

I ordered the large paint chips (about 2"x6") from Farrow & Ball for $40 and have loved playing with them. San Francisco is the nearest place to buy the paint itself for my area. I wish there were a retailer nearby.

Red

• parma42
    14 years ago

Just seeing if I can bump this.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

ttodd:

I shamefully admitted that I've used every SINGLE one of those F&B colors above :-D