SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anicee_gw

Adopting a dog ...wrong breed or not???

anicee
12 years ago

My brother adopted a wirehaired pointing griffon, purebred dog last Summer at the SPCA. He was to move with the dog this coming August but he was at my home a couple of weeks ago to tell me he was leaving and that he had taken his dog back to the SPCA. Abandoning a pet on any given day is terrible but abandoning a dog at the time where people are moving is really awful because all the shelters are overpopulated.

I have been terribly distraught since that day and am just thinking of the dog night and day because he knows my other 2 dogs and got along very well with them. He had a tendency to run after my cats in the house but was never mean towards them and some of my cats didn't mind him. They are hunting dogs who require tons of exercises and I am not a hunter but have decided to go and adopt him today eventhough the timing is wrong for me. When I called the SPCA to see how he was doing, apparently he didn't eat for the first few days but is now doing better. So I tell myself he will be a million times better here, he knows my house, my yard, my pets and I just have to walk him more than 3 times a days like I do my 2 others and once I trust him could let him run free with the others.

The other thing too...I am adopting him just as I am about to sell my house to move 1400km away to a country home with 9 acres so all this will happen amongst boxes, etc....But I say to myself he knows me and my dogs and I can provide a very good life for him and I am so afraid he will be adopted by a macho hunter who will not be satisfied with him as a hunting dog and he will finish his life outside tied up to a tree. I read a lot on the breed and know what to expect but I am ready, this dog deserves the best.

So today is the day..I'm going to get him with my 2 other dogs....I will have 3 male dogs. So when I'll be packing and all, at least he will be with me and my other pets...I think this is better than being at the SPCA.

Anicee

Comments (16)