SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drybean_gw

2nd Floor Bathtub leaking thru ceiling to kitchen; Emergency?

14 years ago

We moved into our house on Halloween. It is 9 years old. The previous (original) owners did not have children and thus likely did not use the 2nd bathroom often. It is our kids' bathroom and we give them a bath every other night in there.

Last night, I was giving them a bath while DH cleaned up the kitchen from dinner. The kitchen is directly under the bathroom. He called upstairs that water was dripping through the recessed canned lights in the kitchen. Went down and looked, and now there is some lovely water damage on the ceiling.

Called a plumber and they told me it is not an emergency, and may not be able to come out until late next week. (This is partly due to our schedules..we are leaving town and no one will be here to let plumber in).

My question is how immediate is this problem? I would think could be a fire hazard to have water leaking through the wiring for the lights? And I'm concerned about mold, and not to mention the possibility of our ceiling caving in while we are gone.

We have a home warranty, but it does not cover "improper installations". So if the builder did a shoddy job, we are out of luck and have to pay for everything out of pocket. How extensive of a project would this be?

Comments (7)