SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Need advice for pilling an uncooperative cat

alisande
15 years ago

Actually, I have to do more than pill him.

The cat is Princeton, the 12-year-old male I posted about below. Perhaps because he was born in a horse barn and was feral, Princeton has always been a jumpy, nervous cat, afraid of strangers, sudden noises, whatever. He's very affectionate with the family and is quite devoted to us. He sleeps with me and wakes me briefly several times just to be petted a couple of times. But heaven help us if he gets scared.

Anyway, yesterday he was diagnosed with leukemia (not the contagious viral kind). He hasn't been eating much, has lost a great deal of weight, and has been pooping on my bed. The vet said we should try giving him antibiotics for a week and prednisone for a month, which should improve his symptoms and make him feel better. Additionally, I'm supposed to force-feed him a high-calorie semi-liquid food twice a day.

Last night none of this was possible. I'm here alone, and failed miserably at trying to get the pill or the food into Princeton. I managed to squirt a dropper of the antibiotic into his mouth (mostly), but wonder what will happen when I try again.

I've had cats for years and years, and have administered all sorts of stuff to them, mostly with the help of a family member, but sometimes alone. Princeton is by far the most difficult patient I've ever had. And the situation is compounded by the surgery on my hand earlier this month. I do not want to get that hand (or the other) ripped up by his teeth or claws. And his claws are unusually long and curved.

Does anyone have any ideas for restraining him somehow or otherwise dealing with this?

Thanks!

Susan

The hard-to-photograph Princeton:

Comments (10)