SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesrr30

sediment build-up chokes cold water supply

jamesrr30
16 years ago

A couple months ago we had a water softener installed, after not having (but desperately needing) one for the seven years we've lived in our house. The softener works great, but within a few days of installation, the cold water to our washing machine started slowing to a trickle. Eventually I thought to disconnect the supply hose, and I found a buildup of white/grey sandy sludge where the hose hooks to the machine. Both the hose and the machine have filter screens on them where they connect - evidently the sediment is passing through the hose screen, but not through the machine's screen, and thus building up between the two screens.

I wiped away all the sludge and reconnected the hose. Cold water pressure returned... for a few days. Since then I've cleaned the sludge away about a half-dozen times. Three nights ago I cleaned it out, and this time I stuck the end of the supply hose into the drain pipe and flushed about 200 gallons of water through - figuring that if I just flush it out enough, eventually the sediment will stop building up. Well, today my wife emailed me that the cold water has stopped once again.

Am I right in assuming that this sediment is lime buildup from inside the pipe, and that the new soft water is wearing it away? How long should I expect this to go on? And most importantly, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might manage to have a functional washing machine without having to pull it out and clean the sludge twice a week?

Thanks in advance,

James

Comment (1)