SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

I Found a Pit Bull

Carrie B
17 years ago

Last Sunday night, walking home past the park near my house, I saw a smallish dog curled up on the grass. He looked like a pit bull. I talked to him, he looked at me but didn't move.

I wondered what to do. Just walk on by? Go home & call Animal Control? I started to walk away. I couldn't do it. I talked to him some more. Eventually, we came to me, wagging his tail.

When he got to me, I saw that he was pretty hurt. It looked like he was in a dog fight. So now what would I do? Here I am on the sidewalk, one block from my house, with an injured pit bull.

He followed me home and I brought him into my yard. Gave him food and water and made a phone call to a cat-rescue friend of mine, and one or two other animal friends. Then I went Online to see if I could find a pit bull rescue group that would take him. The pit bull groups are overloaded, I learned that night & in subsequent conversations w/ animal rescue people. Pits are abused and abandoned so often, and not many responsible pet owners are in the market for a pit bull as a family dog, it seems.

After work on Monday, I left a note of my neighbor's door. The neighbor, Meredith, is an emergency vet. On Tuesday morning, she left me a note with some antibiotic pills on my door. I was on my way to work, so when I got home Tuesday evening I left her a message.

She came over and said that his neck wounds were absessed and necrotic, far too serious for the pills she gave me. The wounds looked like defensive wounds from a very serious fight. She took him up to her emergency clinic that night, her night off. She kept him there for 24 hours. His wounds were cleaned, drained, and stitched up. He has drainage tubes coming out of his neck. She had him neutered at the clinic, on the sly, since the charge for that procedure in her clinic is very high.

He came home on Wednesday night feeling much better.I'm giving him daily meds and warm compresses on his wounds. He's in my garden, with a dog house. He's only a pup, 6-9 months old. He weighed 36lbs at the vets', but is underweight and still has some growing to do. He's a sweetheart with every person he's met, and seems to get along well with dogs. I'm not bringing him in my home with my cats.

I'm not sure what I'll do with him. On Sunday the 21st, I'm taking him to State College PA to be professionally temperament tested.

What did I get myself into?

Comments (19)