SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaincalifornia

New refrigerator--it sticks out too far!

lisaincalifornia
13 years ago

I know this is probably a very common thread these days, so forgive my ignorance on the subject. We just bought a new Samsung French Door refrigerator to replace our old GE that finally died (but not before it ruined the wood floors under it!). I researched new refrigerators, and measured for height and width (but forgot the whole depth thing--I am sure you can see where this is going).

So Saturday my new fridge is delivered, and it is beautiful and glorious--but also it stands out from my cabinets a full 8 inches. My old fridge (not counter depth) only stood out a few inches.

I have been frantically googling this issue, and have learned everything I didn't want to know about these mysterious counter depth refrigerators. Now I know I can buy the exact same Samsung (only smaller) that I have now, but it will cost about 1,000 more for less space to not be so chubby in my kitchen. I just don't know if it is worth the extra cost or not?

My kitchen was remodeled in 1999 when we bought the house, and overall I still like it. We are not planning on changing the cabinets or anything else in it any time soon. It is a good sized kitchen, and the new chubby fridge doesn't block any walkways--it just is just an aesthetic thing.

I can't decide if I should place such a priority on having it not stick out too far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Comments (25)