SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

Will Benadryl help?

nodakgal
14 years ago

Our little Doxie has over the years, anxiety attacks over thunderstorms. It seems to be getting worse. She gets upset before storms are here. Even rain with no thunder or lightening are starting to upset her. She paces, pants loudly and horribly, shakes, tries to get in our lap for a few seconds, then down on the floor, hides under the coffee table, then back in a lap or on the couch.

We've tried everything the past 5 years, she is now 8 years old. Tried ignoring her, tried calming her down, tried melatonin. Nothing helps. I've talked to the vets office twice and they aren't interested in giving her anything apparently. They say oh by the time you give her something and it gets to working the storm has passed. If they could see her during a storm I think they would....it is awful for her and us. I seriously think she will have a heart attack someday during a storm. She starts in before we can even hear anything coming and it gets worse til the storms are finally past. It seems like every summer her fear gets worse! She also doesn't like fireworks. We had a bad storm again the past 2 nights, talked to the vets office again this morning. I am at my wits end here and want to help her.

I found a link on giving Benadryl to dogs....do you think this will help at all? Does anyone give it to their dog? I don't want to harm her. But being this severely upset sure isn't good for her!

Here is a link that might be useful: Benadryl link

Comments (15)