SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petra_gw

HELP!! When do you know it's time???

petra_gw
14 years ago

One of our kitties has battled Inflammatory Bowel Disease for well over 2 years now. We've tried meds, change of diet, etc. She also had exploratory surgery with autopsies to verify the IBD. Her diarrhea is under control most of the time, but she is just skin and bones though she eats and eats.

The vet said her intestines are not absorbing enough nutrients. She has now gotten to the point where she seems weak and can't even jump on a chair. She purrs when we pet her and still eats and drinks, but she is declining rapidly. She hasn't groomed herself in a while and she is inconsistent about using the litter box.

But the fact that she still purrs when we pet her and wants to be with us and is alert is tearing me up and I just don't know if we are making the right decision or if we should wait longer. I don't think she is going to get better, so waiting would delay the inevitable. But I don't know if she is ready to go considering she is still alert and responsive. I just don't know what to do, we have an appointment at the vet this afternoon at 4:30 and I need to know if it's the right decision.

Comments (21)