SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arkansas_girl

Heat exhaustion in dogs! Questions, what to do?

arkansas girl
16 years ago

Yesterday, my husband and I were out walking the bike path when this lady walked past us with an overweight, old(very grey) Golden. It was pretty darn hot(84) and the path is black asphalt. The dog was breathing very heavily and drooling but wasn't slowing down any. I felt very concerned for the dog but what could I do? As we were approaching the end of the trip(parking lot) we could see someone sitting on the side of the road in the grass and I could see a Golden color on the ground next to her. My heart just sank and I knew what was going on. The dog collapsed from the heat I'm sure. Luckily the park cop came by but they weren't doing anything...they said "she doesn't want to move" and I'm thinking..."HELLO...Move HER!!!! Pick the dog up and take her into the shade at least!" I felt so helpless and I really didn't know what she needed to do...I have heard that you shouldn't left them drink too much at one time. They finally did pick her up and put her in the cop van and drove to the lady's car and...hopefully to the vets!!!!!

So my question is...what did they need to do to save her life? I was thinking to wet some towels and put over her?

Warning...please realize that the asphalt bike trails are SO HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if the air doesn't feel too bad, I bet if there had been a thermometer on the road, it would have read well over 100! There was NO shade at all! Just take your dogs walking in the early morning hours.

Comments (7)