SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Am I facing a steep learning curve?

alisande
17 years ago

Last year I started thinking about undertaking the restoration and preservation of some of my father's photographic work. He had some great cameras in the 1930's and 40s and beyond, and I have his collection of negatives (in various sizes), slides, and prints.

Some months ago I bought a Canon 9950 scanner, which will accommodate all of the above. It's still in the box, waiting for me to buy the appropriate printer. From my research, it would seem my best bet is the Epson R2400, notable for its outstanding black & white prints and archival inks. The price is daunting (just under $800), and that alone has made me proceed with caution. But now that I've saved up the money I'm still hesitating because I'm concerned that I'm getting in over my head from a technology standpoint.

I'm an experienced photographer, but my talent lies in knowing where to stand. I'm intelligent, but the older I get the less appealing it is to undertake something completely new. When I read posts about the R2400--and the 9950--on sites like DPReview and Steve's Digicams, it's as though they're speaking another language.

Are any of you into relatively advanced printing like this? Are the printers and scanners user-friendly? Or should I look for a "printing for dummies" book? :-)

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (2)

Sponsored