SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbr333

moving cats advice

lbr333
15 years ago

Well, we're moving. Ugh!! And we're moving farther than I've moved before.

I've been bugging my vet for all kinds of help lately to take care of last minute details for my 3 cats, and I keep forgetting to ask them about advice for moving day. So I thought I'd try the forum instead.

The drive is 5 hours. Each boy will have his own cage. I'm getting slightly larger cages so there is room for a hidey-hole soft cube thing for comfort and maybe a bit of litter. (Also because one of them vomits instantly once he's in motion, and I thought it'd be nice if he wasn't jammed in a tiny carrier!!!)

I've spoken to my vet about alprazolam as a mild sedative, and I've sampled it already at home. Honestly I didn't see much of a difference in their behaviour, but I'm hoping it keeps them from freaking out too much during the move.

So beyond that I'm just wondering about other people's experiences.

Better to cage them with an empty stomach?? Or feed them in the morning?

I'm assuming they won't really eat much during the trip anyway so I wasn't going to put food in with them.

Any other bits of advice?? I've only moved short distances in the past, so this is quite new for me. REALLY not looking forward to the trip!! But I know it'll be great when it's over!!

cheers

Lisa

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting