SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
antiquesilver

Kitchen Tour so Not TKO

antiquesilver
16 years ago

An Observation

Yesterday, an historic district in a neighboring city held a kitchen tour as a fund raiser. Beautifully restored 18th & 19th century homes, a free lunch & wine/cheese tasting were all included in the price of a ticket, but the kitchens - pretty, but definitely NOT done by the TKO. Not a SZ or a piece of pro equipment, or a TapMaster to be seen. Now that I think about it, no one had stainless appliances or wood panels on the doors, or imported, bright colored enamelled stoves. Only 1 had custom cabinets (these were beautiful & very well designed with 90 small panes of glass in the painted doors). 1 had a French Country theme (the owner was French) & she had made use of elderly painted cabinets & older appliances & incorporated them with the original walk-in fireplace & lots of genuine Fr antiques. This was my favorite, although I doubt if if is very functional since the appliances were spread out with the sink being in a semi-hidden niche around the corner from the range. None of the owners appeared to be in economic straits, either, so I assume the choices were their preferences rather than necessity.

For those of you in older neighborhoods, what % have kitchens done by the truly TKO, as opposed to the basic remodel? I live in an historic community in the inner city & the % of truly breathtaking kitchens is small. A lot of nice, serviceable kitchens, but very few that are remembered as 'jaw dropping'. Maybe I've become jaded. Or maybe this forum represents ALL of the TKO people in the English speaking world!

Comments (18)