SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don_chuwish

Final sanding of soapstone, expert tips anyone?

don_chuwish
16 years ago

As I'm plodding away at my DIY of Piracema soapstone I've tried an unending number of approaches to finish sanding. I have 4 seams that I had to sand smooth, plus now a bunch of scraps I'm fabricating into custom back splash. (The scraps didn't even have the supplier's finish sanding.)

I feel like I'm getting close to a method I'm happy with, but I'm curious what the experts do. What abrasive products on what kinds of tools? I've seen lovely examples of Joshua's work in other threads and it has the perfect balance of buttery smoothness without gloss.

I find that regular sandpaper raises a wavy texture from the stone by removing the softer stuff and leaving the veins and other inclusions, kind of like leathering but not to that extreme. If I use dry diamond sanding pads, up to 400 grit, it keeps it flat nicely but doesn't seem quite smooth enough, I still see lots of tiny little scratches and it looks dull compared to the supplier's finish. The next step up, 800 grit, is too much. So I've tried finishing with a hand block and 400 grit wet sanding paper, but quickly get the wavy texture back again.

I'd love to hear from anyone, thanks!

- Don

Comments (9)