SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Time to repaint the back porch

funkyart
15 years ago

For those following my other thread, I have a number of projects going.. bedroom, dining room, and now that spring is here, the yard (and very little time to dedicate to any of them argg).

I missed my window of opportunity to paint the back porch last year and I really need to make sure that I catch it before the wisteria comes back to life this year. My back porch is covered in wisteria-- and I like to let it grow a bit wild as it is one of my favorite spaces and it gives me privacy.

It is currently painted a rustic brick red. I think the color and design give it a country feel which I am not completely opposed to but it doesn't really fit the house or the neighborhood. Also, what you can't see is that I have some decorations-- wildly painted lizards, frogs and butterflies tucked away in the wisteria vines and on the lattice roof. I have also, on occasion, strung white lights through the wisteria. I cannot change the style of the porch this year-- but is there a paint color that will work with the house and better fit my slightly whimsical feel for the space?

Looks like the furniture will stay this year too-- though I will replace the side tables. They are all due to be repainted and I have considered painting a moroccan style mosaic on the dining table- but again, that doesn't really fit the design of the porch.

What color would you go with? Am I stuck with the red that works with the brick?

(Grace looks like a moose here-- she is a big girl but she isnt overweight. She has cancer and goes through periods of cushings-like puffiness)

Comments (23)

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

I do like the red because it works so well with the brick. If you painted the wood a light color it might stand out too much.

Is there any treatment for your dog that has cancer?

• parma42
    15 years ago

I can't tell if your shingles are black or grey.

Have you thought of painting the redwood some sort of grey? There's something in my DNA that doesn't like pink flowers next to redwood.

When I was in my 20's, my dream house had red brick, wedgewood blue/grey on the trim and flower boxes, and trailing geraniums.

• Related Discussions

Repainting Metal Porch Lights

Q

Comments (4)
    I just used the Aged Copper a couple weeks ago. Yes, it was an outside application. Sometimes I spray prime, sometimes I don't. My experience is that things that don't get touched a lot seem to hold up well when painted. If I were painting these lights and wanted to be thorough, I would lightly sand them, spray paint with primer and then spray paint the top coat once or twice. Tape over with blue painters tape any parts of the fixtures you don't want paint on.
    ...See More

':Fall Offers A Good Time For Looking Back'

Q

Comments (3)
    Tam, I don't mind at all - after all, I copied it from someone else. At the time I received it, I was just reaching a point in my life when I, too, was realizing that each day is a one-of-a-kind moment and needs to be savored. Gene, I agree that falling leaves can give us feelings of nostalgia. Ah, but that fallen leaf does return - just in a different form next time around. Instead of a leaf, picture it in your mind as food for next spring's flower, or part of the energy needed to form a drop of rain. I like to think of myself that way, too....Ummm...wonder what I will become next time around? :) Wasn't today just wonderful? Gerry
    ...See More

Repainting wood porch

Q

Comments (1)
    No "paint" is going to last more than 2 years unfortunately.
    ...See More

Screened Back Porch or Open Air Back Porch

Q

Comments (22)
    It does seem very individual. Mosquitoes are a problem all summer in mid-South and especially at dusk. I previously had an open deck, so no overhead fan, and got driven in by bugs. Now have a screened porch which is elevated so not able to do a comparison re: height! But have some open deck down a few stairs and definitely more skeeters there. We eat on the porch a lot and another thing I wonder about is flies. Previously when having a meal out on an open deck we were constantly waving flies away & covering any food even if still serving. No such issues with screens. I do like that we have some unscreened deck because it is a different experience & when not buggy, I also like to sit out there.
    ...See More
  • funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I am afraid the answer IS to keep it red. I may try to change the supports on the railings so I don't have so much of a country look.

No good treatment options for Grace. She had an adrenalectomy a year and a half ago but the cancer spread to her other adrenal gland. She is on a mushroom extract that helps control internal inflammation and spread and I am convinced that is what has given us so much more time. The only other option is another adrenalectomy (which is very risky surgery, has a long recovery time and is very expensive.. 14K for the last one) and then a lifetime of prednisone and hormone replacement. I won't put us through that again.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ha-- I made a dollhouse very similar to your dream house for one of my nieces. My trim leaned more towards a purple than wedgewood though.

The shingles are a dark gray. I like the idea of a blueish gray-- but do you think it will make it stand out too much?

I don't mind the pink so much--especially since the rhodies don't bloom all that long. I don't really care for the red roses but I have balked at taking them out because they were the original owner's favorite. I haven't really done anything with the garden space around the porch. I added some white flax and I usually do purple/blues in the baskets. Maybe I can downplay the red (or gray) by pulling out the roses and replanting the bed? (Now I am leaning towards another forum).

• lisa_mocha
    15 years ago

Sweet back porch! Love your dogs too:)
    I can relate to what you must be going through with Grace...we have a Lab that hasn't been doing well for the past year. So many tests done (and $ spent!)-all heartbreaking to go through. All you can do is love them to bits:)

Anyways...back to the porch! I really like the red, but was goint to suggest a creamy white. I know there might be too much contrast but if you want to brighten it up, it could be an option.

have posted a pic of our house that looks to have similiar colour brick. We painted the front railings in BM Opaline (I think...would need to double-check) It is a definite big contrast, but I like it.
    (

• parma42
    15 years ago

"(Now I am leaning towards another forum)."

You're lucky you have that option, lol (she says, feeling sorry for herself).

I used to get as nuts about my garden colors as I do, now, about the house colors. I'd plant azaleas instead of rhodedendrons, for that very reason.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Well, I'm pretty staid, so this probably won't work for you, but I'd paint it sort of a greyed out chocolate brown. I'm thinking the colour of the little roof over lisa-mocha's font bow window. If you have a neutral dark background your little doodads will pop against it.

Very jealous of your lovely private outdoor space. That wisteria is gorgeous - I love how it looks run wild.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Lisa, Parma and Budge. I have to say that I have been leaning towards brown also. It does sound rather boring but it will provide a great backdrop for bright colors. Surprisingly, I hadn't even thought of white.. I guess I am going to have to go and photoshop.

Parma, sadly the result isn't much to envy. I have done very poorly with my garden beds-- and much as I would love to work with them all this season, my work schedule and commute mean I will have even less time this year than last. I would like to rip out those three rose bushes though-- and a bed of tiger lilies (which is also infested with mile-a-minute weed). I am stuck with the rhodie for now.

Now that I am feeling completely overwhelmed again-- I am going to go find a paper bag to breath into ;)

• HomeMaker
    15 years ago

You could paint it any colour you wanted to, especially since it's in the back.

On my monitor, your photo shows the brick to be the same colour as mine. In my photos, the brick looks more orange than red.

The front porch is green with white trim.

The back is taupe. We did not choose to paint the brick wall in the back. The previous owners had painted it dark brown and it was dreadful, so we painted over it with taupe.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

What about painting it a fresh white? It would work with your brick and, IMHO, look lovely with the greenery and flowers. Perhaps, paint the deck a clear medium gray to echo the roof somewhat.
    Lynn

• kpaquette
    15 years ago

I'm facing the exact issue with my trumpet vines - they're completely covering a fence that no longer matches the house, now that we painted it. (the house, that is.) It's not looking like I'll get there before they come back, though...

I vote for a creamy white. But that would be pretty cottage-y. I think it would look beautiful with the wisteria.

Poor doggie. :-( My kitty was just diagnosed with cancer, also nothing to be done. I'm taking her to a holistic vet for Vitamin C IVs and she's on neoplasene. I'm afraid it's not helping, though...

• suero
    15 years ago

I tried out some colors, and surprisingly, what I thought looked best was something close to your current red, but with a hint more purple.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Suero, I tried colors also-- and came up with a color I suspect is very similar. It is a what I would classify as a brown with some purple-red. Now I just need to find a paint match ha. I dont have examples to show since used a really crappy program to slap some color on... but I did not like the gray's, whites or creams at all-- and I didnt find the right blue. The darker red-browns really looked great. My sister reminded me that I really shouldn't go with a lighter color because the roof is not covered and, frankly, it would always look dirty because the wisteria and trees drop pollen and leaves.. and because birds nest in the wisteria. I do hose off the porch every week but I don't do it daily.

If I go darker, will I need to change my patio furniture? I don't think my iron furniture would look good in a white or cream-- maybe I should switch to a wicker look? I really do need new furniture but I was hoping to save the expense this year since what I really want is a sectional sofa piece.

• andee_gw
    15 years ago

My favorite garden author (long deceased) used to say about garden structures, along the lines of Henry Ford, "paint it black".

• suero
    15 years ago

Start with BM Vintage Claret, but a little lighter and a little grayer. Your black furniture will go nicely with that color, but if the furniture needs repainting, try forest green.

• oceanna
    15 years ago

You said you wanted some privacy there. I think the red does that because it blends with the house and doesn't draw the eye. Some other colors might draw the eye.

• juddgirl2
    15 years ago

My first thought was creamy white, which would complement your brick and window trim. I think a nice taupey brown or grey would look nice too with your furniture and shingles.

Pretty puppy! It's hard when they get older and sick. My lab is 9 now, and he's had a hard time ever since he had back surgery after getting hit by a truck when he was a few years old. We call him our $6,000 dollar dog!

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

awww thanks for the compliments on my pups. And I am so sorry to hear that your lab is having a hard time. My lab is my oldest dog (15+ yr).. and it seems like he has been with me forever. HE is overweight but a little thinner now than when that photo was taken. Grace, the rottie/mastiff, is the one with cancer-- she's about 5/6 yo.

I had to laugh at your $6000 dog-- as I can relate. I call Grace my "expensive dog". I stopped counting how much I have spent on her-- as she was very sick when I adopted her, the vet refused to spay because she was so ill and then she got an infection and had to have an emergency spay-- it took over a year for her to be back to health and it wasn't long after that we found the cancer. Poor thing has been through so much. I have stopped spending big money on her though. Her cancer is hormonal and her personality has changed a lot in the last 6 months. I am not able to give her more life at this point- just more time.

Isnt it something how many of us are animal people! It makes you wonder where all the strays are coming from. :(

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Funky, not sure but your window trim looks white on my monitor. Maybe that's the way to go.

Lisa, your white trim looks great!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

We have red brick and the house color is sort of a tan gray. It's BM's Sandy Hook Gray

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Funkyart, so sorry to hear your pup is so ill. I know how difficult that is.

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

Is cancer more prevalent in certain breeds than in others? I don't know how much study has been done on dogs regarding cancer.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, my window trim is white-- but really, white isnt going to work with the pollen, paws, etc.. and more importantly, it really looked out of place when I mocked it up in a photo. Thanks for all the suggestions, but I will likely follow Suero's direction.

Thank you for the words for my dogs. I shouldnt have shared so much here and brought the thread down.. my apologies. It is one of those things that is on my mind constantly these days. I have had a very long run with her. I was told she wouldn't make it through the summer before last so this time we've had is a gift.

Yes Threedgrad, there are some breeds that are more likely to get certain cancers. Grace's cancer is pretty rare and not one that affects rottweilers anymore than other breeds.