SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Amitriptyline and my elderly dog, Angel

alisande
15 years ago

Angel is a Briard mix, 16 years old. She's deaf, semi-incontinent, and sometimes a little dazed, but she is often quite alert, loves her meals and seems to enjoy life for the most part. I'm the one with the problem: Angel barks at night. For some months now, I've had to come downstairs between 2:00 a.m. and 4:30 a.m. (often at 4:20, which makes me wonder if a car goes by at that time). I let her out on a 20 ft. lead, and when she's finished I go back to bed. Sometimes I can get right back to sleep, sometimes not.

On Monday the vet prescribed 50 mg. of Amitriptyline. She said I wouldn't notice an improvement right away, and she was right--it got immediately worse. For each of the past four nights, Angel has started barking earlier, and continues several times a night. I got to the point where I came downstairs for the first episode, but not the others. She barks for a good half-hour each time if I don't respond, but I'm so wiped out.

I have to work 13 days out of the next 14, and am reluctant to prolong this situation by giving the Amitriptyline a longer trial. I called the vet this morning, and the person who answered the phone suggested that I cut the pill in half. It's not scored, so I question whether or not that's a good idea. Then she told me that this drug can be stopped immediately with no side effects. Is this true? I looked it up, and the literature contradicts that, but I don't know if I'm reading a general sort of caution.

Angel has taken 25 mg. of Captopril since puppyhood. She has done very well on this, and I wouldn't want her heart condition compromised at this point.

Thanks for your help!

Yawningly yours,

Susan

Comments (4)