SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jockewing

Chihuahuas and Tooth Cleaning/Extraction

jockewing
14 years ago

Yesterday, I took my 2 year old Chihuahua, PeeWee, in for a dental cleaining and to remove the upper incisor baby tooth that had never fallen out. Debris was getting stuck in between his baby and permanent tooth, causing a bad breath situation. His back molars were also starting to get some brown tartar buildup. So I brought him in to the vet for a cleaning and for the baby tooth to be removed. When I arrived to pick him up, I was informed that 3 teeth were removed. I thought maybe there were other baby teeth I hadn't noticed, but they had removed 2 of his adult teeth (one of those tiny front lower teeth in the center of his mouth, and the other I'm not quite sure the location of).

Fortunately, the "gap" is not noticeable unless you pull open his mouth and really look for it, but does that sound normal for a 2 year old dog in good health to have permanent teeth removed? I had not noticed any of this teeth other than the baby tooth being loose.

Does this sound normal? Should the vet have informed me before removing the extra teeth?

I also really didn't like the way they just nonchalantly told me about this and looked at me like I was stupid when I showed surprise they had done this.

Most importantly, what can I do to keep his teeth clean as I do NOT plan on making this $200 + procedure a common occurence.

Comments (27)