SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Advice about stray cat

quinnfyre
16 years ago

There's quite a stray population in the neighborhood I live in now. I actually thought at first they were all ferals, as they would not let me come anywhere near them. But I met one maybe a month ago who isn't... He (I think) was trying to get inside the house of these two ladies who feed them in their garage. They leave the garage door open just enough for cats to squeeze in underneath. They can't take him in, but they offered him to me. I said no, I think my cat would like to be an only.

Well, since then, I see him fairly regularly, in the company of another cat who is much more skittish. He will come to me when I call him, and he will headbutt and rub against my hand or legs. And the last time I pet him, he tried to grab my arm and "bite"... that not really biting thing that cats do.

Maybe he knows that I've actually been thinking of adopting a second cat. Evil little manipulator : )

So, some questions. My kitty came to me by claiming me and deciding she was going to live with me (she wouldn't take no for an answer : ) Thing is, she'd been declawed by her previous owner. I'm fairly certain stray kitty is not declawed, as he's holding his own in fights. I will not have a cat declawed. Will this pose a problem to my kitty if he were to live here? Secondly, I know that my cat lived with another cat for a number of years. He was outside with her too, although he didn't try nearly as hard to come in. He wasn't around when my now ex-boyfriend finally consented to let my cat in, but showed up a week later. When we tried to take him in too, my cat was distressed. Not hissing or fighting but not happy. He decided to leave anyway (my neighbor eventually took him in). Does this mean she really doesn't want to share her space with another?

If I did decide to take him in, how would I even go about it? He would obviously need vet care, for one. I have no idea if he'd tolerate being handled, as in picked up. And how would I quarantine him while waiting to see if he had any diseases that could be passed on to my cat? He's been in fights, his face is often scratched up, and I think he's been outside for a while. But he seems to like people, and he's plumped up from being fed. Well, he seems to like me, and the two ladies who feed him. He's still inclined to be slinky and sneak away from other people.

Lastly, he appears to be the dominant cat, as I've witnessed him batting the other skittish cat to put him/her in their place. He's bolder, will approach me (while the other runs away), and all around gives the impression of more cat confidence. My cat is also very confident, and probably was the more dominant of the pair when she was outside with her former pal. Are these two likely to clash?

Eh, I have more questions, but maybe I'll wait till I get some answers first : )

Comments (3)