SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Italian wedding soup.

lindac
14 years ago

A chicken dinner for 6, and a couple of months of backs and wing tips and the purchase of 2 pounds of wings on a "reduced for quick sale" deal was the beginning.

Then I put it all together....with water to cover, a big onion Quartered with the skin...5 or 6 ribs of celery (some were browning at the tips...so that's an approximation)

Couple of carrots, the stems from a bunch of parsley, a couple of well washed leeks...4 or 5 cloves of fresh garlic, half a lemon in wedges,a well washed sweet potato chunked up...bay leaf, salt, about a teaspoonful of peppercorns...

And simmer for hours...strain, chill, de-fat...yadda yadda.

Did that a few days ago.

So now it comes time to actually make the soup.

Tiny meatballs...very VERY labor intensive.

1 pound ground pork

1 pound ground lean beef ( sirloin is what I like 15% fat...no more)

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs (good French or Italian bread works)

4 big cloves of garlic, pushed through a press.

The grated zest from 2 lemons....about 2 tsps.

1/4 cup of the leaves of the parsley you took the stems from....chopped very VERY fine.

1/2 tsp dry oregano...just a hint of oregano flavor.

Black pepper...to taste...I do about 6 or 7 grinds of the grinder...

Mix using your hands...if you need more liquid, add some of that wonderful broth.

When all is well mixed, open a quart of boxed chicken broth ( I know!! I know!!! The shame of it!!) pour it into a pan and have another quart standing by!!

Bring the "stuff" to a boil and roll the meat into meatballs about the size of a big "shooter" marble and drop into the boiling broth....keep adding meatballs (the broth should slow the boil to a simmer) and as they are done Scoop them out and put into a storage container.

Add more boxed ( eww!!) broth to the pot as needed and when all the meatballs are cooked, you can refrigerate the original broth...the meatballs and the broth in which the meatballs were cooked.

When you want to serve your wonderful Italian wedding soup, heat the broth ( which you have skimmed the fat from!), add the meatballs.....bring to a nice simmer...

Meanwhile....I forgot to mention!

You will need a pound of washed, de-stemmed and dried spinach leaves. Spread them out on a cutting board and cut through 5 or 6 times with a chef's knife....you don't want to chop just cut into small pieces.

Add the spinach to the simmering broth and serve immediately!

Sprinkle parm reggiano onto each serving and enjoy!

You don't want to really cook the spinach, just wilt it.

I love it! I don't remember who's method this is....but someone on this forum.....and I have served it more than a few times and taken the accolades as my own!

Good stuff....and sunday's supper!

Linda C

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!