SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylvia_soflzone10

Biting cat

Sylvia_SoFlZone10
19 years ago

I have a cat that is a biter. He was a stray that I had been feeding for several months. It reached a point where I realized he could start reproducing so I tried to calm him down. When I was feeding him he would run away if I looked out the side door window. I started sitting on the steps to see if he would come and eat. It took a few days before he would approach the food dish and eat watching me all the time. I just sat there and watched him. Then after a few days I started talking to him softly. A few days later I moveed the feeding bowl a little closer. I thought if I could get him close enough to touch him I might succeed in trapping him and take him to a vet to be neutered. Well, it took about a week before I could move the bowl close enough to touch him. I waited another day before i slowly reached out and stroked his back. I jumped two feet high and ran away. But he cautiously came back.
I again stroked him and wouldn't you know he fell all over me. He rubbed my legs and let me scratch his ears and pet him. The next day I put him in my carrier and took him to the Humane Society. I hoped they could find a home for him. I already had one cat that was a one cat cat. She would not tolerate any other cats. She hated them.

Well, after dropping him off and telling them if they couldn't find a home for him I would keep him. They are a low kill facility, but I didn't want to take any chances.
A few days later the director called me and told me she didn't think he was adoptable. Whenever anyone went near his cage he went ballistic and climbed the walls. They said If I didn't take him they would have to put him down.
They let me take him on Oct 25 and they NEVER adopt out black cats before Halloween. He was very shy and stayed close to me when I got him home.

He was very affectionate. He walks through my legs in a figure 8 and then he suddenly grabbed me and bit me. There was no reason for it and he was not nasty. I have him over a year now and he still bites every once in awhile. While he is purring and rubbing my legs. Has anyone heard of anything like that?

Comments (14)