SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

$28 for a Pentax auto focus wide angle zoom

lazypup
13 years ago

A few months ago I posted some pictures of birds which I had taken with a Pentax F 100-300mm f4-5.6 zoom lens that I found on Ebay for the outrageous price of $15 + S+H. To tell the truth, I really didn't need that lens, but a 300mm autofocus lens for $15, how could I turn it down?

About a month ago I set out in search of a wide angle lens, and once again Lady Luck has smiled upon me. I was browsing through the listings on Ebay and there it was, a brand new, in the box with warranty card and all, Pentax DAL 1:3.5-5.6 / 18-55mm AL autofocus digital lens listed with an opening bid of $28.00 on a 7 day listing and here it was 1 minute before the bidding was to closewith zero bids listed. I said to myself, what the heck, why not and I put in the $28 bid fully expecting someone to come in the last second with a better offer. Imagine my surprise when the bidding closed and i had won it for $28 + a modest $8 S+H. I then began to be a bit self conscious, had I perhaps just purchased a stolen item? To my surprise, when it arrived in the mail five days later I found it was coming from a well known camera dealer.

I was anxious to get out an try my new toy but we had been having wicked storms for about four days. Yesterday it quit raining, but they were still forcasting heavy thunderstorms for late afternoon but enouigh was enouigh, I felt I needed to get out of the house for while so I filled my thermos with coffee, shouldered my photography backpack and headed off to the buss stop figuring the worst that could happen is I might get caught out in the rain, but I carry a light weight nylon military camoflage poncho in my backpack that can cover me and the pack. (I not only use it for rain gear, i can also use it to rig a blind when shooting wildlife.) I boarded the buss with no real destination in mind, just ride along till I see something interesting, jump off, shoot a few shots and grab the next buss and continue my ventures. Suddenly I realized that the buss route would take me within about 1/4 mile of Lantermans Mill, in Mill Creek Park, an old water powered grist mill that was built in 1846 and is now fully restored and operating. I had not been there in years so i thought this would be a good opportunity to check it out.

The Mill is built on a river in a deep gorge and the city street passes over the gorge on a bridge with a wide sidewalk so I could get a nice scenic view of the mill from slightly above it. Normally the river is crystal clear but with all the rain it was now running high, muddy and rather angry looking. The sky was totally overcast and there was the immenent threat of rain in the air, but I snapped off a few shots anyway. Mostly just to try out me new lens.

From the outside you cannot see the actual water wheel because it is enclosed in the lower part of the stone foundation.

If you look a bit further upstraem from the mill you can see the covered bridge spanning the river. After taking a few shots from the road I went down and entered the mill.

The lighting inside the mill is sort of subdued to simulate how it looked back in the days of kerosene lamps so I decided to see how this lens would perform under available light without flash.

This is a shot on the main floor of the mill where they weigh and bag the flour as it comes out of the mill.

I actually shot about 100 photos in the mill, then i walked the short distance up to the covered bridge and took a few shots there.

I then left the mill area and grabbed another buss to head out in furtherance of my photo safari. Hoping to bring you back more photos real soon.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting