SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabro14

Dog with seizures...need advice for a friend

gabro14
15 years ago

Hi...

I just spoke to my co-worker who looked really down. She started crying and said that she is worried about her dog's quality of life because of his seizerus and reaction to the medications. I really feel for her, because she has tried everything for this dog (holistic care, all different meds, acupuncture, etc.).

The dog has had grand mal seizures since age 2, and is now 8 years old. The seizures have been getting worse, and therefore the meds have been upped. He is taking 105mg of phenobarbital twice daily and has recently started taking potassium bromide (he's up to 1.5mg twice daily).

The meds have helped with the seizures, but they have caused the dog to be very lethargic and "stoned". The potassium promide has also caused hind leg weakness, and they are still slowly going to increase the dosage.

As for the food, he is eating a pre-mix with turkey, and there are no grains in the food.

My friend is at her wits end and isn't sure what to do. She doesn't think her dog's quality of life is very good with the 2 meds he's on, but she can't stop them or he'll have a lot more seizures. Any suggestions regarding what has worked for others? Is there some other treatment she should ask her vet about?

Thanks for your time..

Comments (7)