SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shimla81

Kitten with ongoing diarrhea (3 months now)

shimla
15 years ago

My Bengal kitten has been sick since I brought her home in November. She's 9 months old now. She came to me with a horrible, horrible URI and was on antibiotics for approximately 6 weeks. She did four weeks of Amoxicillin and an additional 2 weeks of Clavamox. I didn't notice any unusual litter box issues during this time.

Two days after I stopped the medication she began having noticeable diarrhea (12/27/08). I tried probiotics for the next 2-3 weeks to get her balanced but the diarrhea got worse. I brought a sample in for testing and was given an antibiotic for stress related diarrhea (not sure what it was). It wasn't getting any better so I retested a week later. She tested positive for giardia.

She did a round of Metronidazole and Panacur. I saw some improvement with the medicine; she went from watery poop to a mud-pie consistency. Her stool didn't firm up at all once she was off the medication and started going back to a watery state. We did another round of the Metronidazole to make sure we got all of the parasite. (We didn't retest since often you'll get a false negative). There was no change and when we completed the medication, it went back to a watery consistency after a few days. As a matter of precaution, we did a round of Ronidazole for tritrichomonas. She still didn't have a normal poo.

Last week, I tried a natural remedy of using Prozyme on an empty stomach 3x per day. We were just about a week into it and her she started having watery poo again. It seems like each time I stop an antibiotic she develops the watery poop. The Bengals are notorious for having 'Bengal diarrhea' but this is beyond soft stool.

I really don't know if I'm still dealing with a parasite issue or if it's an IBS situation. I'm resistant to keep medicating her as she's almost consistently been on antibiotics. To make the matter more complicated, she's got noticeable food allergies. She licks and scratches excessively (the vet noted no treatable skin conditions other than allergies).

Her diet has always been dry food. She was initially on Royal Canin Kitten Chow. I received suggestions to try to change her food so I put her on Evo for about a week. The Bengal folks reported trouble with the Evo and I got an overwhelming response to switch to Iams Hairball, believe it or not. She was on that for a couple of weeks with no improvement. (I also tried pumpkin).

Her vet recommended Royal Canin Rabbit and Green Pea (an allergy food). She's been on that for a month. Her itching/licking may have gotten a little better but I don't see an extreme difference. During the giardia treatment, I put her on a 3 day cooked chicken only diet to give her intestines a rest. Then she went back on the RC.

For supplements, she gets Lysine (for the herpes virus) and a Forti-Flora (probiotic) packet daily. I tried stopping the Lysine 2 days ago in case that was the cause but she can't breath without it and the poo issue didn't change. I put her back on a low dosage last night (about 125mg) just to try to stabilize her. I have slippery elm and Transfer Factor (for immune system) on order.

I stopped her dry food last night in case that is the culprit. I'm just feeding her cooked rabbit right now. I cut out the chicken in case that is causing the allergies. I'm not going to a raw diet, it's too complicated for me. I wanted to see if the vet will give her canned rabbit food to replace the dry, something that won't aggravate her allergies. Does it sound like I'm on the right road here? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions that can fix this kitten? I'm really at a loss right now. Also, is there an over the counter canned food that would be comparable to a prescription diet?

Comments (10)