SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_in_seattle

photography of an oil painting

ken_in_seattle
18 years ago

Google is no help since china is full of artist who will paint an oil from your photo...

But I have reason to photograph some oil paintings to put on a web site for an art dealer.

The person doing the current photos is getting a lot of reflection from some parts of oil and lacquered painting and since neither of us are actually primarily photographers, I though I would ask here. The warehouse space where the art is being photographed currently houses a live display of antique neon signs. We are not seeing color changes and I believe the space is too big and the light level of the neon too low to contribute to the problem. The reflection seems to be due to the direct bounce of the camera mounted flash much like the red eye problem known to all users of relatively cheap digital cameras.

The current camera is a sony cybershot 3.3 and I will take my Olympus c-4000 in to test early in the week. Both have on board flash.

Will a strobe or a slave strobe fix the reflection problem?

Should I block ambient light and try to diffuse the on board flash with tissue paper or something similar?

Is multi point lighting and diffusion the right track or is there some other path I should explore?

Example:

{{!gwi}}

Comment (1)

Sponsored