SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pasternak_gw

clawing and pulling at carpet threads - help please ?

pasternak
17 years ago

My dearly beloved and otherwise beautifully behaved old moggy has just one bad habit that is driving me crazy. For some reason he is constantly clawing and loosening the threads from my living room carpet. Not any of the other carpets in the house - just this one. It is nylon/acrylic I think, I thought if anything, he would have gone for the wool ones. I have tried pretty well everything I can think of. My carpet needs cleaning but I am actually too embarassed to have the cleaners around because of the state of the carpet but cannot afford to replace it. It seems so weak and ineffectual to admit that I just cannot stop him. He is a very old cat but he has been doing this since he was much younger. He certainly knows that it irritates me. If I am a few minutes late for his dinner or otherwise offend him at all, he heads straight for the living room, raises his paw ready to claw the carpet and then looks back at me as though to say "Do it (whatever "it" is ) or I will do the carpet again, Lady!" and then he does. Yes, I know he sounds like a spoiled brat and this is clearly learned "blackmail" behaviour but maybe it is too late to get him out of it ? Does anyone have any ideas ? I have tried alternative scratching posts which he treats with utter disdain, also the old water pistol trick but this doesn't deter him at all. I can't use any spray type things because my daughter has a problem with many chemicals so I am reluctant to use the cat repellent things (and I wouldn't want to anyway as the living room is HIS home as well as ours) but perhaps there is something similar that is natural and non smelling etc. Or maybe I just give in ?

Thanks for any tips at all.

Comments (7)