SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

Cat eating the dog's food!

ilene_in_neok
15 years ago

Yesterday, after reading and becoming newly educated about the varied quality of dog food, I bought my dog a bag of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. He is a picky eater but ate his first cup of it all at one time. He kept going back to his bowl and licking it after it was empty so I gave him another 1/2 cup but he just kind of looked at me like he thought I was playing a trick on him and walked away. I know he will eventually come around. He is about 8 years old. He's an SPCA dog and he's kind of neurotic because I'm pretty sure he was abused before SPCA rescued him and his sister after they were dumped out on a country road. We've had him since he was a year old.

The major problem is that our cat, who is 14 years old, was caught chowing down on the dog's new food! Although it's kind of "pay back" for all the time he's licked HER bowl clean, I'm concerned about whether this is bad for her or not.

I know there is an ingredient in the "cheap" dog food that is bad for cats -- or it's too rich for them -- or something, and they get that urinary tract infection thing. I went through that with a cat before and don't much want to go there again. It's really miserable for the cat.

Maybe, since this new brand I'm feeding the dog is so good for him, it won't be detrimental for the cat, and if that's the case I wouldn't mind if she ate it too. So can anyone tell me if I'm worrying needlessly or not, and explain to me exactly why it is cats shouldn't eat dog food?

Comments (8)