SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ani_t

new kitchen looks bad :(

ani_t
16 years ago

I was so very excited to finally be getting my kitchen back. we did not do a modern kitchen because this water thing just descended on us. I chose cabinets that seemed somewhat acceptable. My contractor was reluctant to do anything not in the original kitchen- even though it would be paid for as extra.

well long story short, i ordered one extra upper , in addition to the one we were going to get. so we have two uppers.

i dont know why but it looks awful. there must be some way to fix it. it looks bulky and lopsided.

i am going to use the other wall for the pot rack. is there any way to balance them out ?

i still have granite and tile backsplash to choose and a bar to design.

we hired a designer, who seemed so good, but i was very dissappointed when she came up with the very same bar shape except she made it a shorter overhang and made it counter height... and she does not answer her emails mostly... anyway i need help from all your collective wisdom... i am so tired.

thanks for listening

Comments (22)

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Do you have a picture of it?

So sorry you are not liking it. What a disappointment. I'm sure someone here will be able to help out.

Hang in there.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry you're not loving it!!!

You know, with the stone and backsplash in, and with the pots hanging on their rack, it might look a heck of a lot better!

But, yes, there are tricks you can use for balance. It's impossible to say without seeing it, or at least seeing pictures, but sometimes you can even do it with paint. Plus you can soften bulk. Trailing plants, a towel ring or key hooks or little pictures. Sometimes you can even get a good result by playing up the problem--turn it into a strength.

Get some sleep :) Live with it awhile. Take some pictures. Get some more ideas. It'll be all right when it's finally done.

• Related Discussions

Why is almost everything looking bad in my NEW raised bed??

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks, Dave. I attached a link to the other post. I seem to have some replies now. You hit the nail on the head - I'm thinking I've either overfed them, or neglected something. The peppers showed the yellowish rims on the leaves before I ever touched them with a fertilizer, and I've never applied fertilizer during the heat of the day. I'm in North Florida and our tomato planting season was to get them in the ground NLT 9/1. I ended up getting them in the ground about a week before that. The peppers have been in the ground since 8/13 or so, and were planted from seeds saved from a container pepper with no deisease. The rest planted on schedule according to the UF planting guide site. I read that Neem was anti-fungal, and thought the yellow spots could be some infection in the plants, and therefore the spraying would help keep it under control. Could the compost tea have burned them? I don't think I have seen any additional effects after spraying the tea, other than them getting taller. Should I scrap the pepper plants, and plant beets or carrots, and cut off the lower yellowing tomato branches? Thank you SO MUCH Dave! I wish you had a TV show! Could the compost tea Here is a link that might be useful: Other post with Pics
    ...See More

My Climbing New Year Roses look bad

Q

Comments (1)
    Don't know how to post photo of these bad roses; sorry
    ...See More

New ceanothus 'ray hartman' looks bad

Q

Comments (3)
    Natives don't generally like to have their roots messed with, it's probably going through some shock. I would buy some shredded redwood mulch and layer it thick around the plant in a 4 foot radius, water well, then check under the mulch once a week. (scratch down a couple of inches) When it dries out, water again. Ray Hartman is a fast grower, hopefully yours will recover.
    ...See More

My Climbing New Year Roses look bad

Q

Comments (4)
    You really shouldn't apply any kind of pesticide without knowing what the pest is. Malathion is a broad spectrum contact pesticide that has no residual effect. This means that the product can't control anything that doesn't actually come into direct contact with it while it is still wet. It's a cholinesterase inhibitor, by the way. Should be used only with extreme caution.
    ...See More
  • vwhippiechick
    16 years ago

Hugs to you Ani_t. Lots of us know exactly what you are going through. I am with plllog - get some rest and live with it. Solutions will present themselves and you will pick the right one. Keep us posted!!

• ani_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thankyou all so very much for the support. Right now I feel like I totally messed up. If things had not gone wrong I would have started on a kitchen in a couple of months. But this being the first time something like this happened I had NO idea what was involved and went with whoever came sort of recommended. Live and learn I suppose.
    Anyway, I realized I did not post pics ! So here they are... I also have my google sketchpad layout in the hope that it will make the current situation a little clearer.

These are the things I have so far:
    Maple cabinets with pecan stain
    Kempas red flooring already in

I am off to take more pics will post soon. Please let me know if my pics are too big to download, I will try to make them smaller.
    Pot hanger goes here- left of sink

Right side of sink- two bulky lonely cabinets.

Floor

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

The pics help. I think your kitchen will look great once you get everything done. I know a little how you feel. When I was doing my kitchen I thought I made a huge mistake with everthing. The day my granite was installed I cried (not of happiness. For most people it is a happy day.) I had white cabinets with white walls, floors were covered, no appliances installed or cabinet hardware or lighting. Looked blah and I thought it was a disaster. It came out fine.

Back to your kitchen. You need to take a deep breath and get exited about how it will look when you get done. I don't think the cabinets on the right will look bulky once you get a big old slab of granite in there. it just looks stark right now (lots of wood. Like my blizzard looking white everywhere.) Also, I assume there will be moulding around the window? That will help, too.

To be honest, I do think it does look lopsided without a cabinet on the left. Can you order another one? Otherwise the pot rack is a good idea. Get a good chunky one (nothing wimpy and ornate.) Maybe in black or ORB?

BTW, those floors are gorgeous and I love that light fixture by the bar. Again, once you get your granite, hardware, paint on the walls and backsplash it will look so much different. (Think make-up and jewelry. You put on the foundation but need the mascara, lipstick and some nice earings.)

Just keep coming back here and check out the FKB site. You will get help and ideas.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    16 years ago

Hi,
    I am in sympathy with your disappointment. I hate to say it but the lighting has some problems, too: there are cans directly over the wall cabinets, so light is not reaching the floor or counter top. These cans need to be moved so they are at least 25" from the wall to the center of the can. The one over the angle wall corner cab is particularly pitiful.
    With some molding (a frieze and a 4" crown) the cabinets won't be so bad. It just looks naked right now.
    Casey

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

Can you take a picture so we can see the right and left side of the sink at the same time. I can't tell from your photos if it looks unbalanced.
    It's very nice looking from the photos you did send.
    Donna

• iamnodiy
    16 years ago

I think the uppers look fine. As a matter of fact I think that you did the right thing by ordering the extra one. Once the pot rack is up on the other wall it will look more balanced. I am looking forward to seeing pictures of of the finished product.
    Good Luck

• pcjs
    16 years ago

Your new kitchen looks absolutely lovely. I would add another cabinet or two to the left if you can afford it (or you can always do this later) to balance it out, but otherwise, I'm missing what your issue is or is it just the shock of something different. I'm also a molding person so I'd put a little molding on the upper cabinets (or is that coming) for a more finished look.

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

First, breathe. There you go.

I agree with the others that it is the blankness of the left of the sink that makes it feel off balance. Personally I like it when a kitchen isn't wrapped with wall cabinets, so I would do the pot rack, or open shelving or a stunning large piece of art (if you can forsake the storage space). Many ways to get balance. Don't worry.

And about the lighting, it could be expensive to move all the lights at this point, so you might move just the corner one, or add another one or two, or add undercabinet lighting. I like the way the ones on the left wash the window and the left wall, so I would try to preserve that and build on what you have rather then pull them all out.

In short, I think it will be fine and look great. Just need to finish it off.

• kailuamom
    16 years ago

I think that you need something on the left AND something over the window. I would hang the covering way higher on the wallso that when open, it would just cover the top edge of the window. That with your potrack (I second, it needs to be substantial) it will look great.

Also, This is an easy fix if you still dont like it - You just hang another cabinet.

• plllog
    16 years ago

Regarding your lighting, Sombreuil has a point, but I think you would be fine with just a couple under cabinet units to light up the back of the counter where the cans don't hit. It looks like there's plenty of light where there aren't uppers. Though when the pot rack is in you will have some shadows there.

As for the balance, I really think it'll all come together when you have the potrack and everything else in. The time to worry is when it's all done. Even then it wouldn't be too late to put in another upper if you decided you really wanted it. If you think you really want it for the looks (if you want it for the cupboard space just go ahead and get it!) you could make a mock up the size out of cardboard and prop it against the wall to get an idea of what it would be like.

As for everything else, it'll look SO pretty when you have the finishes in. All you have now is a background and no highlights, no decor, no pretties. You have a lovely background, so it's sure to be lovely when you're done! :)

• ani_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Once again thankyou all for the responses.

As things are right now, the kitchen is not going to get very much else done to it- there will be a crown molding on the 2 cabinets and tile. This is where I need all the help I can get and ofcourse the granite.
    It has already been painted. I wont be getting any window covering which goes on the top of the window, but will get some simple rollup blinds that fit into the window opening

I was wondering if doing something on top of the window like this will help. I just painted in some tiles to make me happy- dont know what to do there- and what pattern etc., I guess I need to choose a granite first...

• sue36
    16 years ago

I think the the granite and tile backsplash would make a big difference. I would extend the tile so it is a little higher than the height of the backsplash under the cabinets and wrap it to the left of the window and the side wall there as well, all at the same height. That will unify the space. I also would paint the walls a different color. The starkness of the white draws attention to the space where the pot rack would go. I would do the granite, tile and paint before you pick out your pot rack, so you know what you need.

I would also change out that light in the center of the kitchen. Go with something with more visual weight that works with the modern sconce. I don't know what you were thinking of for a window treatment, but I would use wood blinds with tape (colored cloth tape rather than strings). You could try to match the wood of the cabinets. Or do an off-white with a color tape that matches the colors you will use in the kitchen. By recommending blinds I am assuming you want privacy since you have blinds there now.

Regarding the cans, there may be something you can do without moving them. There may be a way to change them to direction eyeball cans. Maybe someone else here knows more about this than I do. Otherwise, I would put a lower wattage bulb in them and play up the center fixture. You should get something with at least 150 watts there. Do you have undercabinet lights?

What's the story with the pipe on the floor? Will that be hidden or do you need a solution for it?

What are you plans for the upper corner cabinet? Since the kitchen is small and you need all the storage space there is, I would do something with that glass. Either use frosted glass or maybe a ribbed glass or something so the contents can't be seen. There is a lot of storage in that cabinet and it will be hard to keep it neat looking without wasting a lot of that storage.

It's going to look great!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Ani,

Did you add display boxes on top? 10" deep? Or will it be an enclosed soffit with molding?

Right now, I actually like the openness you have. I think adding a deep shelf or soffit will close things in.

Another option other than building a soffit could be to have something written on the wall? Laugh often, Live Well, Love ...(I forget the last word- ??? :>) If you're looking for more tie-ins. I'd stay away from something too bulky though.

• alku05
    16 years ago

I think once the pot rack gets installed, it'll balance the upper cabinets nicely. I think you'll be quite pleased with the end result.

• paddytc
    16 years ago

ani t, Don't stress it looks good and will look even better as everything goes in.. You might want to take the mullions out from the glass cabinet to give that area a cleaner line. IMO I don't think the mullions look right for the look you are going for. I think a single glass cabinet should not have the mullions. Good luck and keep you head up. Paddytc

• teedup1
    16 years ago

From the layout picture it looks like your prep sink is pretty much squashed against the fridge cab, leaving very little elbow room. If it is a rectangular sink as shown, and needs to be so close to the wall in that location, could it not be it turned around so that the long side faces your belly?

• soshh
    16 years ago

I think it CAN work fine with a few objective adjustments. As one who loves symmetry but hates boring, I think not having the upper on the left opens up some opportunities.

Instead of a potrack, how about cabinets that go from the counter to the ceiling? Something that will be able to store all your dishes and glassware so the glass front cab on the right can be used for more decorative stuff. It can be done in a contrasting finish.

Or, open shelves made of stainless to tie in the modern sconce.

Or, tie in with the stainless of the DW and do a stainless cabinet (Ikea has them in their line) above the DW with wood shelving to the right, to coordinate with the cabs on the opposite side.

I think it's good that you are recognizing you don't love it, but think outside the box for a solution and you might end up with something much more exciting.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

I love the idea of a 'to the counter' upper cabinet on the left side. And with a matching glass door, it would tie in the glass cabinet on the right, and be different, attractive and hugely functional.

• ani_t
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those are all interesting possibilities. But me being a visual person will have to mock them up in sketchpad to sse how they look. I will post them this afternoon.

About the mullions- my DH insisted on them and I thought they were out of place in our home - but I dont know if they are removable...

I am trying to go for a contemporary look. That scone you see in the pic is one of my favs. Its as old as the house, so someone put a lot of thought into the house when they made it, but since then it has become a mishmash of things, I have traditional banistors, craftsman like molding on beams and columns etc., not well finished either

I am trying to ease into a simple style without it looking cheap. To get a truly modern look seems like everything needs to be really high quality and finish. I am rambling. Ok I will post soon,
    thanks all

• Fori
    16 years ago

It has good bones. It's going to fill in nicely. Too soon to worry!