SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piyahr

backsplash with induction cooktop

piyahr
16 years ago

I have seen several posts here talking about using wallpaper or paint on the wall behind a cooktop - that is, as a backsplash. I have ordered an induction cooktop and know that what I would like as a backsplash is wallpaper, possibly with a strip of paint. A GC (not mine) has told me that the wall behind a cooktop must be covered with a nonflammable material, such as tile, stone or stainless steel. The person at our city hall says that the issue would be the distance from the center of the furthest back burner and the flammable wall material, and that that would not change as function of what that material was covered with unless the manufacturer's requirements specify a nonflammable covering, and that that would probably vary depending on whether the cooktop was gas (open flame), electric (hot elements) or induction (cool elements). I've contacted the manufacturer and am awaiting their response. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone here has encountered specific requirements for backsplash materials with their induction cooktops.

Comments (4)