SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Our third dog, Sabrina, is here!

Nancy in Mich
17 years ago

Our Megan died about a year ago, and I have been cruising Petfinder and the rescue sites to look at possible additions to our family. Toby is 7, Casey Jones is pushing 6, and they were fine together, but I kept thinking that we could manage to have a third dog again.

A week ago Friday, Sabrina came to us. She is an Australian Shepherd mix, black and tan colors with a bit of white on her chest. Sabrina spent her whole life, up until five weeks ago, in a kennel. A lady in rural Michigan decided to start a shelter for unwanted dogs. She had a huge kennel, but could not really figure out what to do to get the dogs adopted once she rescued them. She ended up with 150 dogs. She was having trouble feeding them, so some rescue people near us have been bringing her food donated by Purina for three years. They have been slowly getting her to let go of some dogs a few at a time, but it wasn't until after they lost the heat in the kennel that she let Sabrina go. She was rescued with 39 others recently.

After a month with her foster mom, Leza, Sabrina was starting to be a real dog. She was greeting Leza at the door doing a happy dance, would take a treat, would go to bed at night with only a little pacing, and had started to learn to play. Of course, when she came here, she regressed somewhat. Imagine how insecure she must have felt about being with strangers again. She has attached herself like velcro to DH. I guess Aussies are known for their velcro qualities. She follows him everywhere, sits under his desk for hours while he plays chess online or pays bills. Her progress includes now being able to eat next to Toby and Casey, not in another room, wagging her tail when she sees her daddy, (and once when I said good morning to her), giving her daddy a kiss, laying last night in an empty dog bed in the living room, instead of her "safe spot" in front of the rocker, going in and out reliably (instead of staying outside until someone comes home from work to rescue her), pacing only about 30% of the time when her daddy is not here, sleeping all night in her own bed, and accepting a treat from me last night. She did not know about treats and has stuck her nose up at them.

Sabrina does not appear to know any words like "sit" or "down." She does not bother anything, so she is no trouble if you can stand all the pacing. She does not yet bark - and Leza never heard her bark, either. She has not whined. She does pant a lot in her anxiety. Once she is feeling more secure with both of us, we will take her to classes.

To see Sabrina, Toby and Casey, click below and keep clicking the "next" button. If you go "back" there are three pages of Toby, Casey, and Megan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sabrina

Comments (13)