SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wags848

Does This Soapstone & Marble Work?

wags848
10 years ago

Greetings! I am a daily lurker & have learned so much from this forum. Thanks in advance for your thoughts & ideas with my kitchen challenge!

We want to "freshen" our 15 y/o kitchen. Looking at new countertops, cabinet hardware, new sink & faucet, & possibly new appliances & a backsplash. The cabinets are in good shape; they will stay. We do not want granite. Photo of current kitchen is attached.

I lust for soapstone & almost purchased a remnant for my island last year. Afraid that it would be too dark with our cabinets, I passed on it. I've been wandering the slab yards again & keep coming back to soapstone. Again, concerned it may be too dark & am looking for a lighter/greenish soapstone.

Today I went to a new stone wholesaler; they had some interesting, unique soapstone...unlike any I've seen before. There was a mottled gray slab that I wasn't drawn to until we wet it down...then the beautiful green tones came through, plus golden veining. I was told if oiled, the slab would not turn black...just greenish. It's also relatively inexpensive (lowest cost in their warehouse...about $50/sq ft), as it's the only slab they have like it, it's not a large slab, & they said a lot of people just don't like the green tones. Hmmm...maybe meant for me?

I would have to do the perimeter in something else, which is fine. Our style is eclectic/modern cottage; don't need the counters to be the same. They have some nice honed White Mountain Danby marble that has some green/gold/gray in it. It could tie in nicely. There should be enough soapstone to make a sink; considering that as well.

Opinions? Do you think the soapstone works with my cabinets & kitchen? Is the marble too white/cold with the rest of the kitchen? Perhaps I should just get the soapstone for the island & live with it for awhile before deciding on the perimeter? The cost for the soapstone is less than the remnant I considered, so I could always repurpose it if we didn't like it. But I think it would tie in with our sage green walls, & oiling it would make the veining pop & there would be less of the "mottled" look.

I'll post more pictures below (not sure how to post several). Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments (22)