SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

feline, elderly, crf and possible uti and treatment???

tracey_b
15 years ago

My 20.5 y/o CRF kitty has been urinating very frequently since last fall (at least 1x hour, sometimes more). A month or so after that increase, she was in pain and a UTI was diagnosed. She spent about 2.5 weeks on Clavimox. Her pain went away, otherwise, frequency of urination stayed the same.

Every time I mention it to the vet, she just says that it's a result of her kidneys (an explanation would follow). But I can't find anyone with a CRF-only cat that goes this often, so maybe there's still a UTI involved??? Even the vet admits it's excessive.

The vet says she could do a needle aspirate to optain a proper urine sample for culturing, but Casey's bladder would need to be full for it (which it never is since she voids all the time). I collected urine myself (as clean as I could get it, following proper instructions, etc.) in the very beginning, but it didn't show anything, so I hestitate in doing it again for the very reason....

What would you do? Treat her with ABX anyway, "just in case"?

I read that sometimes UTI's need much more than the standard 2 weeks of ABX to get cleared. I wonder if we didn't do it long enough that first time.

This morning she visited the litter box about 8 times in 5 minutes, complaining slightly (but not "pain")! Only little pea-sized drops were found. I don't think she was straining for a BM since she''d left me a nice one overnight (it's not been a problem in over a month since starting her on Miralax). She's been quiet since, just the normal comings-and-goings to the box.

I'm about to pull my hair out.....any ideas?

Thanks!

Tracey

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living