SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shabosbaby

My baby is missing!!!!!!!! I can't handle this!!!

shabosbaby
17 years ago

Hi guys, you all remember me talking about my little kitty Sassy right?? Here is a picture of her...

SHE'S GONE!!!! My husband had JUST installed a doggy door in our back slider and the very first night, she got out and is no where to be seen. What scares me is I live and work in an apartment complex and she is SOOO beautiful I'm so scared somebody picked her up and took her home. Right away my husband went looking for her when he found her missing and he came and woke me up. Well I panicked because she is my special little kitty. She loves me to death and she has little sweet things that she does only with me. Like...jumps up on me when I go to the bathroom and purrs and rubs on the right side of my neck under my hair. She only does that with me!! I can't lose her!!! God, what am I going to do??? I've already put fliers up on every single door, today I'm going to knock on every single door and hand them a new flier that says I will give them a rent credit reward if they return her to me!! I'm putting an ad in the newspaper tomorrow (my husband wanted me to wait 1 more day for that), and I went around my neighborhood all day yesterday looking. My husband, my mom, and myself went around our apartment complex AT LEAST 4 times a piece yesterday looking for her and calling her name!! What else can I do?? PLEASE PLEASE somebody tell me something else I can do to get my Sassy back!!!

Thanks, Elycia

Comments (100)

• emma12
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Another idea is informing neighbor -hood kids you might know that you will pay a reward to them for info bringing your cat back home. You determine the reward, but kids like money and maybe they will be motivated. I still think someone took her...another reason to notify vets. Maybe this person would bring the cat in for treatment. Send picture and history to local vets.

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

airforceguy, thank you so much! I will get on there and do that asap!! (I'm at work so I come on here and talk about my babies and do stuff like this whenever I get a minute) Those directions do sounds very helpful, thanks again!

emma12, I have thought about that, but as somebody said before, I'm afraid that some parents would think I was a bad person trying to get their kids to do something bad. Its horrible what this world has turned into but its happened and I don't EVER want people to think bad things of me when I really just want to find my baby. I do think your right about somebody taking her. I haven't got a chance to actually walk the houses in our area and knock on every single door yet but I plan to do that just when I get the chance. Between working full time, making dinner, taking care of 2 dogs 1 being a puppy and 3 cats, eating, cleaning and showering, my days and nights always seem to be full. I have no idea why!!?? lol But anyways on ALL the fliers I have put out, at business's, stores, people's doors, everywhere they all "REWARD" on the top. We were going to offer $100-$200 dollars or if they want more we will try to come up with it. I have already called all the vets in our area. They ALL know about my baby being gone! I just remembered the other day (when I was sitting there thinking about her, crying) that she was starting to get an ear infection. I had JUST went and bought medicine and I only got to give her 1 treatment!! Oh my Gosh, I hope more then anything if somebody has her, that they will at least take care of her and bring her to the vet if they can't help her on their own.

My number 1 prayer to God lately is that IF Sassy is out there in the cold, that he would PLEASE bring her home to us. IF Sassy has got picked up by somebody and their little boy or girl fell in love with her and they just couldn't say no, I pray that she is happy and they have the heart and the money to take care of her. IF Sassy got picked up by somebody that has a terror kid that is just hurting my baby, and if they can't take care of her the way she needs, PLEASE GOD bring her home to us!!! I beg you!! Amen!

Thanks, Elycia

• Related Discussions

Visiting Alabama--gardens that I can't miss?

Q

Comments (4)
    In addition to the H'ville Botanical Garden, there are also some small, lovely garden spaces at the Burritt Museum on the mountain. If you have time, I'd recommend a visit there as well. Don't miss a quick trip thru the Butterfly House at the HBG too. Birmingham is only a couple of hours away if you are up for another botanical garden, and Nashville's Cheekwood is nice as well. Enjoy, and thanks for visiting our area.
    ...See More

Help! Can't find a handheld shower set...what am I missing??

Q

Comments (1)
    By itself, a decent pressure balancing valve in chrome trim with a max temp limiting set screw, a shower/tub diverter and a tub spout will run you about $100. Symmons Temptrol is a rock-solid valve, it's not the sleekest, but they never break. Then you need the handheld; outlet, hose, bar/bracket, and head. A decent set in chrome will also be about $100. You might be able to knock a few dollars off by going with a fixed bracket for the handheld head instead of a sliding bar. I'd think $175 for everything would be doable in chrome. But don't cheap out on the valve, the valve will be buried in your wall. An inexpensive handheld can be easily swapped for a better handheld at a later date. The handheld set does not have to be from the same manufacturer as the valve. Chromes usually match pretty well from one manufacturer to the next, but be careful if you go with brushed finishes, as they can vary a bit.
    ...See More

Long week and missing my babies + card quetion

Q

Comments (1)
    Stacie, I know that everyone here will be thinking of you tomorrow. I hope your surgery goes easy and that you are able to be with Peyton when she has her surgery later this week. Ann
    ...See More

I found my missing handle!

Q

Comments (5)
    I lost one of the LONG ones (I bought bar pulls also). Like you, I'd checked the order carefully, and I'd checked that I'd ordered the right ones, and hadn't forgotten to order one. I finally gave up and ordered a new one. I figure, I'll find it when we move out of the apartment. Get an iron-on patch, and slap it on that tear.
    ...See More
  • cjhwillis
    17 years ago

Feb 5th you say you are going to walk door to door. Feb 13th you say you have not had a chance to do that. Im done. Your not serious. Animals fed fine. Clean house, showering, making dinner, regular attention towards animals goes out the door at this point in time. Regular life goes out the door at this time. My animals would be fed period. I would stink, my house would be a mess and my stomach would be growling. Husband would fend for himself.

• jeanonly_one
    17 years ago

Shabosbaby,
    Thanks for the reply but I'm still confused. If I recall correctly you got a pup at 3wks. old & had another about 5yrs. old. You work next door & check in frequently during the day. So again, why a dog door? Seems to me you were having behavior problems with destruction of blinds &/or cat pooh feasting & dogs were crated or confined. Again, why a dog door? A pet owner knows a 6 ft fence does not keep a cat in. I often see cats in my yard even though it's totally fenced.
    The money you offer as a reward could have been used to spay the kitty, as well intentioned posters that got rudely blasted stated. You'll try to come up with a bigger reward?
    You just now remember an ear infection? That would have been a priority with me----cat needs meds! Something doesn't seem right to me - probably just my fever & perscriptions.

• arkansas girl
    17 years ago

Someone probably right down the road from you took the cat in being worried about it. Put flyers up around your neighborhood streets. Dumped cats are soooo common that someone probably just assumed noone wanted her so they took her in. Just yesterday I was talking to my neighbor that told me her cat got out the door(inside an apartment building mind you) and someone upstairs was taking care of her already. She went around door to door looking. One time a lady lost a little Maltese in my subdivision and she went around door to door asking and I HAD found the dog! I was looking for lost dog signs but there were none. The lady was knocking on doors the next day after the dog was missing. I found him wondering while I was walking my dog and I wasn't about to leave him to the streets!

About the dog door...I'm with everyone else, not a good idea if you have indoor only cats. Cats climb fences like there was nothing there. Take it out or close it up.

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cjhwillis, that's fine, you can be done! Unfortunately I can't be!! My baby is out there in somebody's home or walking the streets and I'm trying to do my best to get her back!! Give me a break here, I'm doing my very best!! No my husband won't fend for himself (we are very old fashion in that sense), and your telling me to not pay attention to the rest of my animals?? I DON'T THINK SO! So if I do what you say, not pay attention to them, then next time I turn around another one will be missing! No thank you! Honestly I really don't care whether you think I'm serious or not. Only God and myself knows that so that's okay with me.
    FYI- I did go out last night (because I was able to get off early) and she was not seen by anybody that I spoke with.

jeanonly_one: I do work next door and check in often, but I wanted to give them more. They have both been doing VERY well with things. Well my adult (4 yrs old) only did the chewing the blinds thing twice and never did it again, and the puppy is now 13 weeks. He is doing GREAT with everything! So that's why we decided to give them access to outside whenever they wanted. Now about the cat jumping the fence, yes you are right about normal cats jumping, but Sassy had NEVER jumped like that. She just doesn't jump. I don't know why and nobody believes me until they saw her meowing to be picked up, she don't like to jump. Now, you say about the money to spay her, I have never once said anything about not being able to spay her. I have thought about letting her have 1 litter of babies, but my husband and I have not decided yet. Trust me, the screaming all the time (when she is in heat) is bad, and at that time we want to bring her right in! lol We'll have to see when she comes home!! :-) About the ear infection, no, I didn't remember about it because I was not all there. I was way to worried about getting her home and I still am!! Once I get her in my arms trust me, we are going right to the doc! Also, what do you mean by "Something doesn't seem right to me"?? Like what?? I don't know how you people can criticize me like this!! Most people try to help me, try to give me advice in findig her, things like that. I'm so tired of people talking down to me about this situation!! I CAN ONLY DO MY BEST!! 110% of me is what I give to all my babies!!

arkansas_girl, thank you for your post! Your so right, I hope. That's what I'm hoping and praying for that somebody like you picked my baby up. Somebody that will look around, look in the newspaper, actually look for her real owner. I know that somebody could tell she was an inside kitty because of her long, white fur and is so beautiful and soft. I hope they would know that if she was a stray she would not look like that! :-)

For sure we are closing up the doggy door!! I just want to get her home first!! Just in case she comes home and remembers how she got out and comes back through that pet door. My dogs will just have to deal with going to the babysitters or having me coming home all day to see them and check on them.

This is getting harder and harder to keep going on! It is starting to feel like there is no hope. All the stories and you guys teling me your situations and stuff, really helps but I JUST WANT MY BABY BACK!!!! (and its okay if some of you don't believe me, that's fine)

Thanks, Elycia

• pranjal
    17 years ago

Elycia, we're praying that sweet Sassy returns to you soon. I can imagine what you must be going through right now. Just wanted to tell you, don't lose hope.

We had a lot of cats and kittens and not very friendly neighbours. One day the sweetest kitten, two-month old Ami, just disappeared. Ours was a very quiet residential area back then, no traffic, no stray dogs, lots of trees to climb, purrrfect kitty playground. I couldn't understand what happened to Ami. Then a neighbour's kid told me that his grandpa had found Ami trying to get into their kitchen thru the window, put him into a cloth bag, tied the bag up nicely and threw it into a flowing channel 5 km away. I was heartbroken, to say the least. No hope. Did not confront the grandpa either, it was already 15 days since we last saw Ami.

And then one evening (three months later!)I heard a very weak meow at the gates and I just knew it was our Ami - and sure enough, it was! Tall, but all skin and bone, and you couldn't make out his colour at all - just sooty! A week later, he was in good shape and back to normal - just as if nothing had happened. I still wonder how Ami managed to get out of that bag, swim out of the current and find his way home.(Ami looked like a dainty lil girl, hence the name)

It's amazing how cats find their way back home ... I bet even at this very moment Sassy is thinking of you and trying to find her way back to you.

Our thoughts are with you.

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

pranjal...Oh my God thank you so much!! You really just made me cry, A GOOD CRY!! It seems like everybody has been just talking bad to me and putting me down and then for you to say such a nice thing like that, wow! Thank you very much!! I was going to email you to tell you again how much that meant to me but you don't have your email on here. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! By the way, that's an AMAZING story!! Why in the world would somebody be that cruel to an animal??!! That kind of stuff makes me so so mad!! I want more then anything to start up "Animal Cops" over here. If I had the money to get it started I would totally do it because we have NOTHING like that here in Wa! Really pranjal thank you again!!

Thanks, Elycia

• emma12
    17 years ago

I would leave the doggie door there because years ago I had two feral sisters who lived in my house and were neutered and inside only. Only Emma was still very skittish and sat on my lap every night BUT I could not pick her up or approach her. One summer day I walked down the flagstone walk just in time to see the cats who were at a basement window push the screen out. I yelled at them and one went back in and Emma ran away. But she stayed in my yard and I'd call her and she'd meow back. This went on for three days. I fed her and saw her but couldn't get her. So one night we shut the kitchen door to the basement so other cats couldn't get down there and left the window open for a few hours. Hours later when we put the screen back and I was getting ready to go out and look for Emma, she appeared at my feet and jumped on my lap. She had come thru the window she left, and I was so happy. Only cat who ever got outside.

• jeanonly_one
    17 years ago

Shabosbaby,
    I know you're distaught, I would be too in your situation. I'm only going by what I've read and admit I may have missed some info. It appears to me (IMO, I could be wrong) that you only want to hear certain things & when that happens - you are so grateful & love that poster.
    Let me tell you, from personal experience, that sometimes advice (you solicited advice, right?) is not what you had hoped for. More times than not, when someone gave me an honest opinion, usually not what I wanted, it would end up to be right.
    I know many have pet doors to allow cats' to come & go. It's not for me as I would prefer indoor only cats. However, I have no problem or issues with anyone that feels differently.
    I'm sure you love your babies as much as you say & do the best you can. I am not "talking down" to you when I question a doggie door since you are next door & check in often to play etc. That's something most working people are unable to do. You mention taking them to a babysitter. I don't know why you would do that as you're nearby & can tend to their needs. Pets are left alone all the time while their people work.
    Please try to keep an open mind when someones' opinion differs from yours. Also until you know otherwise, assume some kind soul has taken in Sassy & is showering her with love.

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jeanonly_one, I do understand everything you said. I've got my back up and I'm sorry for that because I'm so messed up in my head. I don't think I only want to hear certain posts, I just really need support in this time, and its hard to take critisim on top of that. I do respect somebody's opinion as long as they are not trashing my love for my babies.
    I do totally agree with you about needing to close up the doggy door once she gets home which we are doing, but until that day, we are going to leave it just in case she comes home through that. The thing with the babysitter, I'm talking about my mom. She only lives about 2 blocks away (in my complex). They both love going to Grandma's house especially to play with Daisee (Deuce's sister). With my job, sometimes I can get out of the office, sometimes I can't. If I'm really busy or if our owner is here or something then no I can't go and check on them. You are also right about most pets being alone while their people work, but StarLite (4 year old) has given herself an ulser because she gets sooo upset when I leave her and go to work for 9 hours. Its very sad!! :-(
    Well and for the last thing, yes I hope and pray that some sweet person took Sassy in their home and is taking good care of her like I would. I just want her to be happy and safe and if somebody can take care of her better then I can then I need to swollow hard and just let me baby go. :-( (((crying))) It will be so hard. BUT...if she would be better off with me then God needs to let her find her way home!! jeanonly_one please understand how hard this is and just say a prayer that Sassy is happy and gets to be happy forever!!!

Thanks, Elycia

• bbaird
    17 years ago

Even though I hadn't posted, I've been reading this thread every day hoping to read good news about Sassy.

When I was a kid, I had a cat (the love of my life) that we took to be spayed. The vet was across the street from my father's store on a very busy and dangerous avenue. When my parents went to pick up my cat from the vet, the cat jumped out of my mother's arms. I didn't speak to my parents for months.

One day, months later, my father was looking out the store window, and, he saw a fluffy grey tail walk by. He yelled, "Sam!", and my cat came over to him. She was greasy (like car oil or something), very thin and sort of okay. She had been out in all kinds of weather for months with fresh wounds from her spaying (she had only been spayed the day before and had stitches and a bandage) and, yet, she surivived. She was a very good hunter and smart as could be.

It seemed like a miracle. She lived to 18.

I hope Sassy comes home safe and sound.

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow bbaird, that is amazing!! I really thank you for caring enough to read everyday! It really blows my mind how much people do care about my and my feelings losing my baby.

Oh my gosh, I have to tell you and everybody else what happened to me yesterday...

So I went to the local animal shelter (which my husband has been going everyday not me) and of course my two dogs came with me, and when I got out of the car I said to my friend (who was with me) I'm going to lock all the doors even though Star (my BIG over-protective 90lb boxer) was in there because deuce is so smart I wouldn't put it past him to get the door nob open. ha ha we laughed about it and went inside. ~oh I did lock the doors!!~ We looked all over looking for Sassy, she wasn't there so we played with a couple of other cats, signed the book out front and on our way we went. When we got to my car my drivers side window was done, I said "oh my gosh, Deuce rolled down my window". Chris said "the dogs are in there right"? It was dark out and I saw Star so I said "yeah, I see Star, wait where is Deuce"????? HE WAS GONE!!!!! I freaked out looking everywhere!!!! Running like a chicken with my head cut off, I was crying my eyes out, Chris went the other way up the road, I finally went inside and said "hey did anybody just bring in a boxer puppy"???? He guy said calmly "Yes". I said WHAT????? Thats my Deuce, he just rolled down my window and jumped out. It was a happy ending, thank God, I got him back and lets just say, he is not ridding with me anymore in daddy's car. I had such a bad migraine last night!!! It was bad!!

Thanks, Elycia

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

Elycia, Dogs should never be left alone in the car. In the heat. In the cold. In any temperature. You're lucky they let you have the dog back. Obviously you are emotionally attached to your animals, but they are a huge responsibility, and they need much more than love. They need to be safe and their needs have to be considered sometimes before yours. There are times when animals are not 'convenient' - you may have to go home to drop the animal off before doing the rest of your errands. It's not always easy, but if you love them as much as you say you do, you need to reconsider how they fit into your life and make some adjustments. Please think about this before responding in a flurry of exclamation points.

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

cynthia, I disagree with you! "Please think about this before respondig in a flurry of exclamation points", honestly if I wanted to answer like that I would! Somebody emailed me from here and told me to just let those sweet and kind comments roll off my shoulders so that is what I'm doing. Cynthia, my adult would rather come with me wherever I go no matter what!! Of course, I DO NOT let her/them go if it is freezing outside or really hot! StarLite would rather go with me werever I go including in the cold and heet IF I let her (which I don't, I just want to make that clear so nobody kind bite my head off for that too). Anyways, of course I am emotionally attached to my animals, they are my babies! Really don't tell me what I already know. I have had animals my whole life I'm not 5 getting my first dog and mommy telling me how it is. Not the sitation here. This situation has nothing to do with them being "convenient", I would do anything I needed to for my babies!! The weather was perfect, it was perfectly fine and really if I put my dogs in any harms way do you really think that animal control would have gave him back to me?? I DON'T THINK SO! You know, this subject I think that alot of people go back and forth here. Its just your opinion and its just my opinion. We do not have to agree, its okay. Anyways, I think the main part in this story is the fact of how smart Deuce is!! He actally rolled down my whole window and left! lol Its funny to look back upon now because hes back in our home safe! Star just sat in the car I KNOW she was saying to him, "uuuhhhh you are getting in so much trouble Deuce"!!! lol I can just see it!! :-)

Anyways, I'll talk to all you again very soon,
    Thanks, Elycia

• share_oh
    17 years ago

Did you leave your keys in your car? I know you said you locked it. The only way my windows work is if the keys are in the ignition.

It's common for dogs to stand on the door to look out the window which they could easily then hit the window button and put the window down.

I'm glad you got Deuce back and that your other dog didn't jump out with him.

• munkos
    17 years ago

My old shih tzu locked us out of the vehicle once. We were going on a trip home, and had to run in somewhere for maybe 5 minutes. My dad left the keys in, but the vehicle off and Eli jumped up on the automatic lock button..and locked the door. We were out in the boonies (my dad worked waay out of town) so it wouldve taken forever to get a tow truck, so my dad told me he'd give me $100 dollars if I could get Eli so excited he'd jump on the lock button again and unlock it. And 10 mins later I was $100 dollars richer :D

We leave our dogs in the car sometimes. Never for long, though. But if we have to run into a store to grab something, on the way too, or from the petstore/dog park, we'll leave them in the car for a few mins. But never for more than maybe 10 mins. And if it's just my girl we have with us, I'll smear peanut butter over the bottom of a bowl so its nice a stuck, put it in a bag and give it to her while we go inside, to keep her busy.

Anyways, Shabo, I hope you find sassy. My current kitty got out once, and came back that same night. I had two other cats when I was really young who got out. One made it back, the other didn't. I hope sassy comes home.

• micke
    17 years ago

I hadn't came back to this thread for a while, I was sure hoping you would have your baby back by now:( I am so sorry she has not returned yet. Something to think about though, if she did get pregnant and someone picked her up, once they find that out they may not want her anymore and may turn her over to a shelter, people are that way, so keep the faith up and keep checking the shelters (although I know you are already doing that) I have had male tom cats take off for weeks on end when I lived out on the farm, they would be gone forever and then *poof* they are back again! Females generally won't travel as far as males do though, I would definitly do the door to door thing before someone becomes too attached to her, I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't somewhere right around you:)

• Meghane
    17 years ago

I know of an 18 year old blind Yorkie in heart failure that ended up in a shelter 3 hours from the owner's house. Please check shelters further away than you'd imagine possible. I hope your baby is returned safe and sound soon.

• acorn
    17 years ago

I haven't been here for awhile, I was hopeing you got your Sassy back. My prayers are with you and Sassy.

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

share_oh, no I didn't leave my keys in the car. Our BMW you can still roll the windows down inside the car even if the car is off and the key is out. Its the craziest thing in the world! The worst part is there isn't a lock for the window either. It kind of stinks!! And thanks for your post!! I guess that did sound a little bit strange!! lol

munkos, that is so funny!! :-) at least you were 100 richer and still had a very smart dog!!! Yes the way you are with your dogs in the car is exactly how I am. I don't see anything wrong with leaving them for a MINUTE if the weather is okay for it. It makes me SOOOO mad when I see a poor sweet dog stuck in a car in 100 degree weather. I call the police everytime!! But thank you for your concern about Sassy! I promise the minute she comes home I will be on here letting all you guys know!!!!

micke, thats very true!! I never thought about that, if somebody relizes she pregnant they might get rid of her or look for the right owner!! Good thinking!! Thank you!! I did do the door to door thing but I'll probably do it again in the next couple days or something.

meghane thank you for your caring. Yes you are right, I will call futher away places.

acorn, that sure makes me feel good having friends like you that come back to check on my situation. Thank you for keeping us in your prayers!!

Elycia

• dekeoboe
    17 years ago

You do know that it is much safer for your pets to travel either in a carrier or with a seat belt on.

• User
    17 years ago

Elycia,
    What Micke posted made me think a bit...it's a possibility that if someone has your baby, they may hold on to her and when she has kittens, they may try to give them away and put up posters or ads in the paper. Keep an eye out for fuzzy kittens that look like your girl...and you may find her! Also, while someone discouraged you from asking kids about whether they've seen Sassy anywhere, I can tell you that when our cat went missing when I was a kid, it was some neighbor kids who informed us of her whereabouts...so, don't rule out that possibility, either. Maybe notify all vets offices in your area as well, and give them a good pic of Sassy. It could be that someone has decided to take her on as a pet and may take her to a vet. I'm thinking of you...hang in there.

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THANK YOU junebug1961!! I have never thought about that before!! Do you know how long cats are pregnant for?? I'm trying to get an idea of how long. I'm looking in the paper everyday as it is, I guess I can just look at the free kitten's as well. ohhh...you are making me think now, maybe somebody knows that she is a persian and going to try to SELL the kittens. I will for sure watch out for them!! I have told a couple kids about her being gone, but I don't want to sound like a "crazed parent talking to kids now". Do you know what I mean? This world has goten yucky and I'm paranoid! I have told the vets around here and I keep calling them to see if there is anything new and I think I better back off them a little bit. I'll make my phone calls to every other day now instead of everyday. :-) Thank you for thinking about me junebug!! It means alot!

Thanks, Elycia

• shady
    17 years ago

That would be 63 days or nine weeks with no signs visable for some time. Really what are the odds Sassy found a persian to mate with? Free long-haired kittens, I see as a possibility, purebred, highly unlikely.
    If I were a vet, constantly dealing with stressful, urgent emergencies, & so on, I would not appreciate someone calling everyday or even second day to ask about their cat. If you've done your part, that is provide info & pictures & so on, they will contact you. Give the vet a break!

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No I didn't mean that she would find a purebred to mate with. If you are a cat lover, you can tell persian kitties from barnyard kittens. So that's what I meant. You would be suprised around here who try to pull off purebred and its not even close. That's what I meant.
    I want my kitty back and I'm doing whatever I have to to get her back. My vet doesn't mind me calling every other day. Its not a problem!

Elycia

• anita22
    17 years ago

Hi Elycia,

I've been keeping you and your furbaby in my thoughts.

Some friends and I did some brainstorming...maybe you've tried these or thought of them already, but here goes...

1. Contact the local SPCA, humane organizations (Animal Rescue, Humane Society, etc) and shelters and deliver/mail a photo.

2. If you live near a neighboring county, contact those counties' SPCAs and humane organizations and see they get a photo and contact info.

3. If there are people you know around you who rescue animals, contact them too. See they get a photo.

4. Your local SPCAs will know the radio stations that advertize lost pets. (Around here radio stations make free announcements as a public service.) Call those stations, arrange for an announcement (if they let you, mention a REWARD), and check with them every day.

5. Contact the local Police Department and the Animal Control officers that serve your township. Also contact the departments and officers in neighboring municipalities. (A surprising number of people call the police when they find a missing pet.)

6. Contact the newspapers. Some will run a free ad for you. For others, you put one in the classified section. Mention a good-sized reward -- you are the best judge of this, but I'd consider at least $100 -- you want to get people's attention.

7. Make up a flyer with photo and your contact info. MENTON A REWARD, PROMINENTLY. Place flyers in local businesses (with their permission, of course!) and give flyers to
    local vets
    area groomers
    your mail carrier
    your neighbors -- go as far away as you think she might have wandered
    the kids in the area
    your regular delivery people

Hope these help. Hang in there!

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

anita22, furbaby!!! That is soooo cute!!! Anyways, thank you for thinking about our situation and I'll tell you which I have done, but you gave me a couple new ideas also so thanks! I have done: 1,2,3,6 (animal control officers),6,and for sure 7. The radio station one I never thought about and nobody has told me about it around here. I'm going to make some phone calls as soon as I'm done here. Oh also with #7, I asked my delivery people to take a flier with them and UPS and FEDEX wouldn't do it. They said there is too many people in and out of their trucks and it would just got lost! :-( Thats sad huh? Well just as soon as I see a new guy in either company I'm going to give a flier to them. I keep an extra stack of flier right here under my desk!! brb...my main radio station that I listen too didn't answer, I'll try again in a little bit. Thank you again for you and your friends thinking about Sassy and I.

Thanks, Elycia

• User
    17 years ago

Yep, the posters are a great idea...in my neighborhood, I always read the posters people stick on the telephone poles. Don't give up, Elycia. The other thing about the vets is to make sure they have a good pic of Sassy and her stats, and that they know she hasn't been fixed yet. I'm assuming at this point that she's pregnant, but a new family might not know that yet. If she hasn't been micro-chipped, include that info as well. Someone may assume that she is a stray or abandoned from her lack of spaying or chip...and may take her to a vet to have these things done. So...keep hanging in there, Elycia. I'm still keeping you and Sassy in my thoughts!

• onyxdaily
    17 years ago

Hi Shabo, I have been reading about your little missing kitty and I am very sorry for what you are experiencing. My little dog has gotten loose 2 times, but the longest she was gone was 1 hour and I was frantic, so I can't imagine your stress/worry/sadness, just your whole situation. I do so hope that your baby returns home very very soon and I will be thinking good thoughts for the safe return of your little Sassy. Take care.

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everybody for your caring!! Sassy still is not home with me!!! I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest! That's why I haven't been on here for a long time because I'm so depressed! I just don't feel like doing anything anymore! My baby is not here, why should I keep going and why should I be happy?? That's what my mind keeps telling me. The only things I still do everyday is like going to my local animal shelter and calling random places still looking for her. I still talk about her to everybody I see. I just want her back!!!! :-(

This is on a totally different subject but this weird thing happened to me the other day... I was working in my office and I started hearing a kitty meowing. Well of course I FLEW over to the door/window. It wasn't Sassy but there was this little kitty about 5-6 months old just sitting there crying her head off. I opened the door and she came running inside like she knew where she was going. I know for a fact she is not a stray cat because she is so friendly and healthy. She is not skinney at all, she smells good, I just feel so bad for her. I put more fliers out now that says, FOUND CAT, but nobody has called me or came down to my office. Isn't that sad?? That was 3 days ago!! She has been an office/clubhouse kitty for the past 3 days! Oh here is a picture of her, I had taken it to put on the posters:

Isn't she cute?? It just kills me that her owners haven't tried to get her back yet. But I guess there is always that possibility that they dumped her off too. It breaks my heart but I guess it happens!

I'll try to keep posting letting everybody know whats going on.

Thanks, Elycia

• munkos
    17 years ago

She's adorable!! Maybe sassy is sending you a new baby to watch over you, until she comes home.

• Nancy
    17 years ago

I check in occasionally, hoping have been hoping you would find her by now. I really hope she comes home soon.

• silvergold
    17 years ago

So sorry your baby hasn't come home yet. Your new friend is a beauty.

• User
    17 years ago

Sorry to hear that Sassy's not home yet. Maybe this little girl can keep you company for a while...I wonder what her story is?

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everybody for your compassion towards me! Thanks ngraham for caring about my situation. I have had a couple "close calls" when I have got a phone call from somebody that said they saw a cat that might be her and my girlfriend called me about 2 weeks ago and said she saw a kitty in the shelter that looked like Sassy who had just got brought in there, but none of them yet has been her. I JUST WANT HER BACK!! I'm really starting to get antsy!! This is far long enough for me not to see my baby and I can't even imagine if shes pregnant, going through that alone. Not knowing what those feelings inside of her are and not having me there to rub her belly and tell her its okay. It just breaks my heart!! I just pray to God that if somebody has her, they are taking care of her the right way. I hope they have brought her to the vet (even though I call all of them all the time) and made sure the babies are okay and she is okay. I JUST WANT HER BACK SO BAD!!

I agree, I'm going to be some company for this little kitty and she can be company for me until my sweet Sassy comes home. I really don't know what's going on with this junebug1961, she is SOOOO sweet, lovey, gives kisses, house trained, I haven't found one thing wrong with her yet. I'm just hoping nobody dumped her off here or something. That would just be horrible. I've been calling her "Lucky Girl" and she is already starting to come to it. She's so smart.

Thanks, Elycia

• shabosbaby
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everybody for your compassion towards me! Thanks ngraham for caring about my situation. I have had a couple "close calls" when I have got a phone call from somebody that said they saw a cat that might be her and my girlfriend called me about 2 weeks ago and said she saw a kitty in the shelter that looked like Sassy who had just got brought in there, but none of them yet has been her. I JUST WANT HER BACK!! I'm really starting to get antsy!! This is far long enough for me not to see my baby and I can't even imagine if shes pregnant, going through that alone. Not knowing what those feelings inside of her are and not having me there to rub her belly and tell her its okay. It just breaks my heart!! I just pray to God that if somebody has her, they are taking care of her the right way. I hope they have brought her to the vet (even though I call all of them all the time) and made sure the babies are okay and she is okay. I JUST WANT HER BACK SO BAD!!

I agree, I'm going to be some company for this little kitty and she can be company for me until my sweet Sassy comes home. I really don't know what's going on with this junebug1961, she is SOOOO sweet, lovey, gives kisses, house trained, I haven't found one thing wrong with her yet. I'm just hoping nobody dumped her off here or something. That would just be horrible. I've been calling her "Lucky Girl" and she is already starting to come to it. She's so smart.

Thanks, Elycia

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago

Have you called all of your area shelters, vets, and animal control officers about the stray cat who showed up at your office? The fliers you've distributed are a good start, but there's a LOT more you could be doing to try to locate her home (assuming she wasn't a dump).

Laurie

• elephantear
    17 years ago

So sorry to hear about your lost kitty and how sad you have been. I usually don't come here to this form but I'm thinking of getting a companioning puppy so thought I would lurk here at the pet form for a while. Read your post last week and all the others. Was hoping that you had got your baby back home by now...it must be terrible to be so heartbroken.
    Glad to hear you have another kitty to keep you company for a while at work. Looks like a lovely cat also! It crossed my mind, could it be possible a good Samaritan that knew of you situation and how sad you are put this one by your office door for you to find? Wendy

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

"It just kills me that her owners haven't tried to get her back yet. But I guess there is always that possibility that they dumped her off too. "

Do you think your Sassy has found a safe spot and someone is thinking the same thing about her owners? Good for you for putting up found posters, I hope she gets to go home soon too.

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Elycia,i've been checking back to see about you too. prayers still going full force. I'm so glad for Lucky cat and you to have each other through this.
    vickie

• shrimper22
    17 years ago

I keep checking in to see if your baby has been found. I know how you feel because my beagle went missing (an inside spoiled little boy). We never did find him after doing everything humanly possible. It was and still is just the "not KNOWING what happened" and therefore no CLOSURE. I hope you have better luck but wanted you to know that I know how it feels. Best of luck for a happy ending to your story and if I had to bet, your baby is probably with someone right now giving her a good home not knowing you are looking for her.

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    17 years ago

Elysia - I hope you do everything humanly possible to find the owners of that kitty, who may be going through the exact same thing you are over Sassy.

Good luck!

• acorn
    17 years ago

I check this post hopeing you found your baby. What a shock to find you found a lost cat, Lucky Girl is so pretty. Still praying you find Sassy. I know you will do whatever you can to find the new kittie's people. Good Luck

• ross939
    17 years ago

Just a note to say don't give up hope completely. Some years back, we had a lovely little orange tabby, who after only about a month with us got lost. We had given up all hope and moved on, when one day, about a month and a half afer he left, came home. I could believe it. Good luck, and I hope everything works out.
    --J

• lostnca
    17 years ago

Shabo, Ive still been checking in with your posts here... I know this may seem silly or strange to you... but I think Sassy moved on so Lucky Girl could have a loving home. I find it very interesting that Lucky Girl came there so close to Sassy leaving... Its just a thought but I hope she stays with you.
    Lorie

• User
    17 years ago

Hi Elycia...I found my cats over seven years ago in an arboretum parking lot. They'd been dumped. When my gf arrived to go for a hike, they began winding around our ankles and the older one even tried to get into the car! Almost immediately, a cop pulled up to take them to the pound, after numerous reports of the two "strays" hanging out in the parking lot. These two girls are the sweetest, best behaved felines I've ever seen, and to this day, I can't figure out why somebody would just dump them like that. So, I guess my point is that the sweet girl you have right now really might be a dumped kitty...but it can't hurt to put an ad in the lost and found section of your paper. Take care...

• biwako_of_abi
    17 years ago

Sassy is a great beauty, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone has taken her in, whether or not they realized that she already had a home. And I think that the chances are that she is being loved and well-cared for. Cats also know how to find warm sheltered places to sleep, and so on, and Sassy's coat should keep her pretty comfortable. That said, I know I would be a mess if one of my cats disappeared like that! It would be unbearable, so I really sympathize with you.

I have had 15 cats in my life and it has been my experience that they generally know where their home is and will hang around near it, even if they haven't been out before. But a female in heat...now a cat in that condition might roam farther, unless a Tom scents her and shows up on the doorstep, so to speak. Spaying will lessen or even remove a cat's desire to roam.

Cats, unlike people, are stimulated to ovulate by mating, so if a Tom was hanging around, Sassy should have gotten pregnant pretty quickly, and her "heat" would end shortly thereafter (I forget if it is a matter of hours or a day or two.), and she should have come to her senses and tried to find her way home. It is true that she might get confused by a lot of apartments all looking similar, so by all means do leave familiar-smelling things in your yard.

Once, when we were about to move from Japan to the States, I had to give two cats away to a friend, who foolishly just put them on collars and leashes the first day, in an area where they could get outdoors. Well, within hours they had both slipped the collars and disappeared. She called me and I rushed to her house, which was a 29-minute train ride and 15-minute walk away. You can imagine how churned up inside I was, the whole way there. We went around her neighborhood calling the cats' names, but nothing happened. Her family let me sleep that night in a little detached room in their garden. Before I went to bed, one of the cats came to the door of that room and cried to come in, and the other came round, crying at the door in the middle of the night, so we got them both back. In the end, they were left free to come and go at their new home, and they never got "lost" again, but this shows that cats can remember their way around, even in an unfamiliar place.

I would expect that Sassy did not stray very far in the beginning, but probably some kind person picked her up and is caring for her. She may get loose from them someday and find her way home. I would not give up on walking around from time to time, calling her name.

I agree with what others have said about the fence. If Sassy couldn't get under or through it, she could still have gotten over it. It is amazing how high a cat can jump, especially if the fence is a bit rough and she can get a bit of extra boost by putting her claws against it near the top.

Our two cats have been microchipped. They hardly seemed to feel it at all. Vets usually use a sensor to check for microchips on stray cats people bring in, and a number of lost cats are recovered, thanks to that. The sensor actually reads and displays the number on the chip. Having your pet microchipped gives you a lot of peace of mind.

Here's hoping you find your girl! Meanwhile, Lucky Girl is lovely, too, and I know she is in good hands with you until her owner can be found, or even if he/she cannot be found.

• User
    17 years ago

Just wondering if this latest cat has been taken to the vet yet for shots and spaying. You've had her almost a month and if she's not already pregnant, she soon will be if she continues going outside.

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Elicia, have'nt been on line afew days. Was wondering if you found Missy? How you are? and hows Lucky?
    vickie