SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silver_wolf60

New fish tank given to me, with sand in bottom, advice required

silver_wolf
16 years ago

Hi there,

I was lucky enough to be given a tank full of fish a week ago by a lady who had been looking after them for someone for the last year or so. The man in question never came back for them and so I have them. The lady admits she knows nothing about fish and has done nothing more than put in dried flakes once a day. I am currently studying all i can get to learn how to take care of them as I am a newbie but remember enough from my child hood to keep the fish alive. (my mother had fish)

The tank had never had a water change, no cleaning had been done and all the plants and rocks had a very thick layer of algae on them. The filter was also clogged up and barely working, the outside thermometer was also not working.

She handed me a small bucket with all the fish in it with no heat followed by the tank! amazingly enough all survived!

Obviously the water has now been changed completely, I threw away the majority of the plants and bought all new and cleaned everything, apart from one large plant,and a couple of the rocks which i have kept to accomodate a pleco who likes to eat the algae.

There is a very strange mix in this standard 36" juwel tank, including a black shark who measures a good 6" now and a large sailfin pleco catfish who is about 7", stunning fish but i believe this tank is just not big enough to accomodate them especially as my studies have revealed just how big these fish can get! There are stunning black lace angel fish, a pair of keyhole cichlids, a mail rainbow fish who is determined to mate with a gold gourami and i have added some much smaller common fish plus a yellow apple snail and all seem to get on very well despite the strange mix, the chap that originally bought the fish obviously did not do his homework when he bought them as i would not have put a shark and pleco in a tank this size and intend to move them into their own tank in a couple of weeks. I have also started varying their diet with live food and pellets for the catfish.

I hope I have done enough for now as the fish are much more lively compared to how sluggish they were when i got them a week ago!

I need however to know how large a tank the bigger fish are going to need and how to keep the sand in the bottom clean as i don't want to have to change it all to gravel so soon after the complete water change. I personally dislike the sand as it seems kinda dirty after a year in this tank, and why on earth is the male turquoise rainbow fish determined to mate with a golden gourami??!!

I would also like any other general advice any one can offer to take care of these very beautiful fish!

Silver,

Comments (8)