SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
covingtoncat

Advice regarding adoption

covingtoncat
12 years ago

I could use some advice and suggestions please. In the last year we have lost both of our aged, special needs dogs. Eight months after our first passed, we got a puppy. Within four months our remaining elder also passed.

One day last week when I was feeling the loss especially keenly, I happened upon an add for placement for a 3 year old needing a home. Something about it just hit me and I replied to the add. I have had a few conversations with the woman who is looking to re-heome (supposedly due to loss of job). She seems like a nice lady and I'm just wondering if you all can offer some advice as to what I should be asking. She says her dog is healthy and house trained and has no behavioral issues.

He is three and if we adopted him we would be his third family. This is a red flag to me. Not to say it isn't plausible, but why would this dog be going to his third family in 3 years if there are no health or behavioral issues? I don't want to offend this lady, and she has said she will turn over his vet records (currently his shots need updating). I am somewhat skeptical, having adopted 3 animals who's true story turned out to be different than what was put forth.

I would love to give a dog who needs a home a good home. But having been thru the special needs situation before, I do not wish to knowingly take it on again. I told her this and she said he is healthy now, but there are no guarantees.

What would you all suggest?

Thanks,

Comments (19)